Options

Granule 9100 - Dynamics NAV Server should be free

Comments

• Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Having just gone through this, I do want to point out one thing that is incorrect on the blog. I thought it was the way the blog described, but it is not.

You can only add one service tier to your license. So $500, one time, +16%. How do I know this? Because we have 150 users and tried to add four of them to our license. Our partner didn't even know you could only add one. Microsoft came back and told them they could only add the one. So we are getting refunded the $1500 extra we paid.

If you setup four services on the same box, all pointing to the same database, you can start them, connect through them, all at the same time, with only one instance of the granule in your license.

As for free...I do think it should be free, but I see Microsoft's point. MS has invested $4 billion into Dynamics (according to the last Convergence I went to a few years ago). They are not forcing anyone onto the RTC...yet. You can use the classic client as long as you are on one of the current versions. In that regard they are delivering as promised: a working upgrade to the latest version of the software as long as you have paid your enhancement fee. Once again, should it be free, I think so...but I can't be angry that it's not. $500, for us anyway, if less than 1/5 of 1% of our license value.

I feel like we've had this discussion before :D
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    On the price list, there's only a checkbox so it appears you can only purchase 1.

Nonetheless, for clients wishing to use RTC and having to fork over $500 + 16% additional is not the best way to get people to adopt the new client.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Instead of posting the title as "should be free", I should've changed it to "be part of the BRL licensing"

That would've sounded much better. :D
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Since using the role tailored client will lead customers to buy more Microsoft products (the stack), they should actually pay people to use it!