Options

Configure NAV 2009 SP1 for High Availability

clayfoxclayfox Member Posts: 23
edited 2009-10-26 in NAV Three Tier
I am long time SQL guy but relatively new to NAV. We currently have one server setup (NAVTest) with both app and database tiers, that works fine which was for testing and deployment. But now it is in production and I am still working on getting the production environment to work. I am trying to setup the three tiers with the client on terminal server (done and working great), the app tier on a pair of load balanced 2008 servers, (problems) and the database tier on a SQL 2008 cluster (problems).

Supposedly this is supported but I still have not completely got it set.

1. The NAV Database components won't install except on a local instance, it cannot find the cluster instance, however I copied the DLL and ran the stored procedures manually and I believe it is working since I have gotten the classic client to work.

2. If I run the RTC client locally on the application servers I can open NAV and connect to the database. If I use a RTC client on another machine and connect through the App servers either as the load balanced name or the individual name it fails and says Login Failed when connecting to SQL Server <DB0SQL>.

So I believe my issue is with the app server. I am trying to use domain accounts and have gotten to this point but I have not found much documentation and I am hoping someone out there has gotten this to work and has some advice or someone might have a suggestion. I have setup SPNs and delegation but the app server does not seam to be able to pass credentials through it so it may be a delegation issue.

Thanks for any documentation or advice.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Take a look at this blog/article on trouble shooting connection issues.

http://blogs.msdn.com/nav/archive/2009/ ... -2009.aspx
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The first question is why do you need this level of availability? Could you survive with a few minutes of down time, and can the clients reconnect? If so, a redundant system using log shipping would be a much simpler solution, and conversely less likely to fail.

If the CIO or CEO read in some book about clusters, and you simply MUST deliver clusters no matter what, then you are pretty screwed, but if not try for a simpler solution. As simple as clustering looks, it really is complex to make it work reliably.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    clayfoxclayfox Member Posts: 23
    I have found the solution with the help of this thread which was my exact issue.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34244&start=30