Upgradation from NAV 5.0 to Nav 2009

subha_erpsubha_erp Member Posts: 14
edited 2009-09-25 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,
I am in an upgradation project from NAV 5.0 to NAV 2009. I am entirely new to the world of upgradation. Please suggest me some guidelines or any URls which might help me out.
Thanks in advance,
Subhasish.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Go to partnersource and download the upgrade toolkit.

Search the forum. http://www.mibuso.com/forum/search.php
    You'll find plenty of posts on upgrading.

My advice if you've never done an upgrade is to not jump right into the role tailored client. Start with the basics. Try to understand why you're doing certain things the toolkit describes.
  • subha_erpsubha_erp Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, our project is encompassed around RTCs only :( . Could you just suggest what I have done wrong, I am describing the process below :-

From Nav 5.0, I have taken the back up from SQL Server 2005 (Database -> Tasks -> Backup). Next time, I have installed a fresh installation of Nav 6.0, and then restored the backup at the top of it (SQL server -> database -> tasks -> restore). When I am opening it, it first threw an error saying that 'Compatibility must be set to 90'; we have taken care of that too. Now the classic clients are opening. When I am trying to open the RTC, it's throwing an error 'We are sorry for the inconveninence.' Then the RTC is simply closing. I have checked from the Alter database options, and all the relevant options too. And my profile table is also laoded with data from Cronus Db, with Sales order processor as the default profile. Please let me know, am I doing something wrong somewhere? Or the process is faulty.

Thanks and regards,
    Subhasish
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Not the most descriptive of error messages. Not your fault on that, though. We had to go through the install for the RTC two or three times before we got it working. I would uninstall it and then follow the installation guide in the Help Menu / MSDN word for word.
  • subha_erpsubha_erp Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for your reply :) The error message that was coming up, was something like 'Dynamics Nav 2009 Client has faced an error, and is going to be closed now. If you are in the middle of something, then you might not be able to save the data. We are sorry for the inconvinience.' Then it will simply close.
    Could you guess what might have gone wrong?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hi Subhasish,

I guess you don;t want to hear this, but upgrades are not a simple process. Really if this is a one off you really should outsource this, it will be extremely expensive to do it like this.
    David Singleton
  • nav2009nav2009 Member Posts: 1
    :lol:

i hav edone the upgrdation from 4.0 to Nav 2009 SP1.
    Working perfectly.

I am looking to upgrade from 5.0 to 2009 SP1.
    there is no upgradation tool kit for this can u guide me.