Options

Multiple Dynamics NAV Servers

premnavpremnav Member Posts: 43
edited 2009-09-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Dear Colleagues,

I am having a requirement where I am trying to install multiple Dynamics Application servers for a single Database server. We are going to install new NAV 2009 SP1 Worldwide Version. In the three-tier architecture, I need to see whether we can install multiple Dynamics Application servers for the Database server which is running on a SQL server. Actually my customer is operated in two different physical locations but all are in the same Virtual Private Network. Therefore, in the implementation, I am trying to see whether I can install an Application Server for each location. I feel that if I can get this done, it will help us to fully utilize the available band-width and user will be given better speed.
Can you provide me your expert comment on this idea.

Thank you in advance.
Prem

Answers

• Options
    j_3kingsj_3kings Member Posts: 3
    Hi Prem,
    I just saw your status online. Actually, I can't comment on your queries below. I am having a problem I think most likely the same as yours. We are on the process of initial installation of NAV 2009 to server and we are trying to connect the client to the server but it was unsuccessful. I got error message : A server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://ariel1:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://ariel1:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available. (where ariel1 is the servername)

I hope by then we can have open communication so as to help each other. Your reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jo-an
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Are you talking about Application Server (NAS) or about NAV Service Tier (NST)? It is different thing... I assume you are talking about NST
    2) Do not forget that NST is better to be as near as SQL as possible. The bandwidth is more critical between SQL and NST than between NST and RTC. Still it is not good over VPN or low bandwidth links. If you do not have at least 10MBps link for each client, use terminal services or Citrix.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    1) Are you talking about Application Server (NAS) or about NAV Service Tier (NST)? It is different thing... I assume you are talking about NST
    2) Do not forget that NST is better to be as near as SQL as possible. The bandwidth is more critical between SQL and NST than between NST and RTC. Still it is not good over VPN or low bandwidth links. If you do not have at least 10MBps link for each client, use terminal services or Citrix.

HI Kamil,
    Thank you very much for your comments.

1. As you have correctly assumed, I am talking about NST (not about NAS). In fact, I am checking the feasibility of setting up the DB server and the Application server in two different locations.

2. If we are to deploy the two servers (DB server and Application) in two different locations, what would be the minimum bandwith; Is it 10Mbps.

I would expect some more comments from all our experts;
    Please help me...

Kind Regards,
    Prem
  • Options
    Best is to have 1Gbps network between NST and SQL. 10Mbps is minimum for RTC to NST connection...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi Kamil,

Thank you so much for your reply; but agan I have a small query.

This 10Mbps minimum is for which connection ? (between which layers?)
    Is it between the Role Tailored Client and Application server OR between the SQL Server and Application Server.
    Could you please clarify this?

Thank you,
    Kind Regards,
    Prem-NAV
  • Options
    10Mbps is minimum for RTC to NST connection...

RTC - Role Tailored Client
    NST - NAV Service Tier

Do not use "Application Server" when you are talking about NAV Service Tier (or you can use NAV Server). It will bring you many problems.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi Kamil,

Great !!! Thank you very much for your valueble thoughts.

Kind Regards,
    Prem-NAV