Options

.Net skill and Nav2009

GRUBBYFANSGRUBBYFANS Member Posts: 154
edited 2009-08-11 in NAV Three Tier
hello,everyone,I know nav2009 have new interface RCT,I have developed Nav 3 years,my .net skill is not good,if I learn Nav2009 ,I must learn .Net develop?maybe like C#,If this somebody can give me some study website or blog,I hope we study together, :D:D

Comments

• Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    you don't need to learn C#...it COULD be useful to know it for the future, but i cannot predict the future...
    In nav 2009SP1 you will also be able to create additional components (client extensibility) which requires .NET skill to create them...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    you don't need to learn C#...it COULD be useful to know it for the future, but i cannot predict the future...
    In nav 2009SP1 you will also be able to create additional components (client extensibility) which requires .NET skill to create them...
    I have seen some people blog,they develop programe need C#,so I think whether I should learn C#, :D:D
  • Options
    if you have time to do it, then do it...it's useful!
    (personally, i don't know it)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    if you have time to do it, then do it...it's useful!
    (personally, i don't know it)
    :D:D ,thank you friend,Do you know some Nav expert Blog?please tell me ,thank you!
  • Options
    Nav experts blogs?view the signature of MVP/MSFT members of mibuso...usually they put their blog link there...
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    Nav experts blogs?view the signature of MVP/MSFT members of mibuso...usually they put their blog link there...
    yeah,thank you friend :D:D
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    According to Microsoft's statement of direction C/AL will be phased out on the NAV 2013 release and switch to a completely .NET development environment. Personally, I think you should learn it now if you're going to continue with NAV as it can only make you more valuable down the line. You could also consider learning Sharepoint for the 2011 release, but .NET and C# seem way more valuable.

Of course this is all assuming Microsoft can stick to a schedule :whistle:
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Anyone heard of Cairo?
    Project Green?
  • Options
    matttrax wrote:
    According to Microsoft's statement of direction C/AL will be phased out on the NAV 2013 release and switch to a completely .NET development environment. Personally, I think you should learn it now if you're going to continue with NAV as it can only make you more valuable down the line. You could also consider learning Sharepoint for the 2011 release, but .NET and C# seem way more valuable.

Of course this is all assuming Microsoft can stick to a schedule :whistle:
    Really?tomorrow,I am going to learn C# knowledge ,thank you reply
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    In NAV 2009 you can use .net and C#/Vb/? for automation objects and for applications, which interacts with NAV through web services or other means. These would all be on the side of NAV.

In NAV 2009SP1 we add the ability to create your own custom controls in .net and embed them into the RTC as first class citizens.

You cannot however write Business Logic in C# today. Personally - I am a C# developer, learning C/AL code... :-)

Also note that NAV 2009 actually converts your C/AL code to C# and compiles it on the service tier, where the application is running managaed code.

As the statement of directions says we are working on changing the programming environment to .net, but it is important to also state that we will NOT just give you a Visual Studio solution and tell you to go party. NAV will keep you in a simple world, where you concentrate on writing the application and the Business Logic and not focus on all the surrounding things. That said we also want to enable people with VS skills to do more.

So Yes, .net skills are great to learn, but nothing goes without C/AL skills today. I actually think that the hardest thing to learn isn't the syntax of C/AL or C# - it is the functionality of the application and where to do what.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    freddy.dk wrote:
    In NAV 2009 you can use .net and C#/Vb/? for automation objects and for applications, which interacts with NAV through web services or other means. These would all be on the side of NAV.

In NAV 2009SP1 we add the ability to create your own custom controls in .net and embed them into the RTC as first class citizens.

You cannot however write Business Logic in C# today. Personally - I am a C# developer, learning C/AL code... :-)

Also note that NAV 2009 actually converts your C/AL code to C# and compiles it on the service tier, where the application is running managaed code.

As the statement of directions says we are working on changing the programming environment to .net, but it is important to also state that we will NOT just give you a Visual Studio solution and tell you to go party. NAV will keep you in a simple world, where you concentrate on writing the application and the Business Logic and not focus on all the surrounding things. That said we also want to enable people with VS skills to do more.

So Yes, .net skills are great to learn, but nothing goes without C/AL skills today. I actually think that the hardest thing to learn isn't the syntax of C/AL or C# - it is the functionality of the application and where to do what.
    aha,freddy,these day,I have seen your blog,your C# Skill very nice,thank you!