How to publish webservice using Native Database? Pls Help

bbgajjarbbgajjar Member Posts: 12
edited 2009-07-21 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I need to deploy code unit to web service and access it in my ASP.NET application. Issue is my Database is Native Database and not SQL Server and because of this event though all I did when i try to access web service it gives me error...

- <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"&gt;
- <s:Body>
- <s:Fault>
<faultcode xmlns:a="urn:microsoft-dynamics-schemas/error">a:Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.Exceptions.NavNCLChangeListenerConnectionFailedException</faultcode>
<faultstring xml:lang="en-US">The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server due to the following error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)</faultstring>
- <detail>
<string xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/10/Serialization/">The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server due to the following error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)</string>
</detail>
</s:Fault>
</s:Body>
</s:Envelope>

Can you tell me how to publish web service with native database? I can't switch over to SQL Server.

Hope to have quick update.

Thanks,
Bhavin Gajjar

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    You can't. It is only possible with SQL-DB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• bbgajjarbbgajjar Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

In this case how do i call my code unit in to asp.net application?
    Is there any alternative do this?

Job I have to perform is call code unit in asp.net page to insert data in to table. OR Provide me way so that I get input from ASP.NET page and insert into NAV DB. Database is Native Database and not SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Bhavin
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I would firstly question why you can't upgrade to SQL. But assuming you can't for some reason, what about NAS.
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, in case of Native DB, you cannot use the 3tier architecture, thus the build-in support for webservices. You can only implement own webservices by using NAS and some external dlls. Just search the form for WebServices for older versions of NAV (5.00 and older).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    how about use of CFront.dll in .net application ?

Has anyone worked with it? I am stuck on that too. :cry:

refer viewtopic.php?f=32&t=35730

Thanks,
    Bhavin
    Hi,

I have got 50% success by using CFront.dll

Please refer viewtopic.php?f=32&t=35730

Thanks,
    Bhavin
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    CFront is just about data, not about business logic! If you need to run business logic, use WebService. If you want to write into NAV through CFront, use special tables for that, do not write into regular tables, no validations and trigger will be fired...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    CFront is just about data, not about business logic! If you need to run business logic, use WebService. If you want to write into NAV through CFront, use special tables for that, do not write into regular tables, no validations and trigger will be fired...

Yes, You are correct. But in case of NATIVE Database there is no support for Webservice yet. It works gr8 with SQL Server database but in my case I have Native database.

My Client not want to migrate with SQL Server Database so I have to do CFront.dll call and good thing is I did it finally.
    I'll post it on my blog soon.

Thanks,
    Bhavin Gajjar
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    reg. "there is no support for Webservice yet."

I don't think we will ever see native database support for the service tier (incl. web services)
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
    Hi,

Well, You are true. But finally Client is king and we are service provider. He don't want to buy SQL Server and because of that I have worked on CFront.dll calling in ASP.NET as of now. I am trying hands on MSMQ and develop webservice to call CodeUnit so that we get benefit of NAV BL on native database.

Thanks,
    Bhavin
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    But finally Client is king
    You are right - I just didn't want to send any expectations as for the future of the Native database.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bbgajjar wrote:
    Hi,

Well, You are true. But finally Client is king and we are service provider. He don't want to buy SQL Server and because of that I have worked on CFront.dll calling in ASP.NET as of now. I am trying hands on MSMQ and develop webservice to call CodeUnit so that we get benefit of NAV BL on native database.

Thanks,
    Bhavin

Sometimes though that can be completely the wrong attitude, and what you call a service may in fact be a diss-service to your client.

Take a read of my blog about this:
    The most powerful tool that a Dynamics NAV consultant can use

Ultimately there is a very good chance that the client will switch to SQL at some time. SO if you really want to provide a service to them, you will look at the cost of moving to SQL; then look at the cost ot write all this code, and the cost to keep supporting it; and the cost of the next upgrade; then add in all the oher benefits of moving to SQL.; if the client is about to start this integration job, then consider what else they might use from SQL and in the end you may find that its actually cheaper to use Web services on SQL than developing a hack.

You should never take the attitude that the customer is king, and just do anything they want. Allways present them with the options and let them make an informed decision.
    David Singleton