Upgrade NAV 4.0 sp3 to NAV 2009

carthicarthi Member Posts: 11
edited 2009-06-12 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All,
Am newbie in dynamics. Is there any upgrade guide to follow, for Upgrading Nav 4.0 sp3 to 2009.
If not, pls kindly suggest me how to proceed further.

Comments

• carthicarthi Member Posts: 11
    Is it possible to upgrade NAV 4.0 sp3 to 2009 directly???
  • AlishaAlisha Member Posts: 217
    Do you want to use classic or role tailored? Classic has the same functionality as V5.1, so you can follow the upgrade procedures for 5.1 ( I think).
    both classic and RTC
    In that case I suppose you upgrade the classic as you would upgrade for V5.1, and then you will have to modify and create all your customized forms/reports in Role Tailored and Reporting Services. It's A LOT of work...
    Thnks for replying.
    Can u pls tell me where can i get upgrade guide. As am new to dynamics i need upgrade details from step1.
    Usually you can get all the objects and documents on the NAV installation CD, although I'm not sure if there's a guide to upgrade to NAV 2009 yet... take a look at the partnersource.
    Thanks.
    At present i need to know, Is it possible to upgrade Nav4.0 sp3 to 2009 directly or i need it to upgrade 4.0 sp3 -> 5.0(sp) and then 5.0 -> NAV 2009??

If it is possible i need to know how to upgrade the database and customization.

Please suggest me
    I think you can probably upgrade directly using the routines to upgrade to V5.1 (I'm talking about data here), explaining how to do it here would be very very long... try to find the official documentation and read it carefully.
    Can any one provide me the link. where can i get the official documentation for NAV4.0 sp3 to NAV2009..
    On the installation CD you will find the file GB60UpgradeToolkit.exe, if you run it it will create a folder with all the documentation and objects you need for upgrading.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Your best bet would be to contact an upgrade center to do this for you. I can guarantee that its a much bigger task than you think it is.
    David Singleton
    Indeed....
    Thanks for your suggestion
    I need to prepare an questionnaire for upgrading Nav4.0sp3 to Nav2009, as am fresher i have only basic knowledge. I want to know what are all the information that i will require from the client side. So please help me in this.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    carthi wrote:
    I need to prepare an questionnaire for upgrading Nav4.0sp3 to Nav2009, as am fresher i have only basic knowledge. I want to know what are all the information that i will require from the client side. So please help me in this.

Carthi, can you provide some more background of the upgrade you are about to perfrom?
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    carthi wrote:

Do you have a more senior person to help you on this project? If no, then I suggest you ask for help within your company.

A person with just "basic knowledge" of NAV is probably not fit to do an upgrade to NAV2009.
    Thanks Alex and David.

I have the senior guy who is going to perform the upgrade. But i thought of learning the upgrade process as soon as possible and help him.
    I have a doubt during the upgrade, please considered a scenario where we are taking an upgrade project from client "xyz" to upgrade from NAV4.0 to NAV2009.

Say if we are taking the client's NAV4.0 environment and database and we are successfully upgrading it.

We will imagine that the upgrade takes 2 months to complete.In the meanwhile the customer would have made lot of transaction in his NAV4.0 environment. Now how do we update the records which are added in the 2 months period in NAV2009 environment.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You don't.

You find a weekend or a long weekend and do the converstion.
    carthi wrote:
    We will imagine that the upgrade takes 2 months to complete.In the meanwhile the customer would have made lot of transaction in his NAV4.0 environment. Now how do we update the records which are added in the 2 months period in NAV2009 environment.

It will take you 2 months to upgrade THE OBJECTS (which you client should not change during this time), upgrade the data takes hours, depending on the size of the database. As it has been said, this is usually done on a weekend.