Options

Navision 4.0 // Client not stable

Chris-AconChris-Acon Member Posts: 7
Hello,

we implemented Navision 4.0 in our live system. At the momen we've got the problem that the Client is very instable. The client crashes with the message that fin.exe caused an error and the question if the user would like to send a error-report to microsoft.

Has anyone a idea how to solve this problem?
Where could I find the error-report? Where is it saved?
Has anyone same experiences??

Thanks for your help!

Chris
For knowledge itself is power.
(Bacon, Francis)

Comments

• Options
    facadefacade Member Posts: 57
    Error log is in Event viewer + usually the client is asked if to update Microsoft errorlog.
    To go into details you should at least give some understanding about hardware and software situation on computer which crashed and some background info what you/client is doing at ht time of the crash.
  • Options
    Trevor_NorcrossTrevor_Norcross Member Posts: 29
    We had this problem with the 4.0 beta version quite frequently, however the full release seemed to take care of the issues... just wanted to throw that in, just in case you were using beta version of 4.0.
    Trevor Norcross
    SharePoint Implementation and Development
    Network Administration
    Mirifex Systems
  • Options
    Steve_MalloySteve_Malloy Member Posts: 2
    The release of 4.00 contained a bunch of errors in the exes and dlls. There is allready a fix it, but not official yet. You can download it at:

http://www.waldo.be/modules.php?name=Do ... tit&lid=12

What you should do to create a new Navision 4.00 CD:
    1) Copy CD1 on your hard drive
    2) Overwrite the files with the files in this archive
    3) Rewrite the CD

I hope MS will create a new release soon!

Enjoy!
    \:D/

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    1) Copy CD1 on your hard drive
    2) Overwrite the files with the files in this archive
    3) Rewrite the CD
    If I already have 4.0 installed, can I just copy these into the program files folder and overwrite existing files with the same names to "upgrade" to this service pack?

Does the way I installed the client matter to which files here get copied in? (in other words, if I installed a minimum or a complete installation, does it make a difference?)

Thanks!
    Trevor Norcross
    Network Administration
    Mirifex Systems
  • Options
    Tim81Tim81 Member Posts: 68
    If I already have 4.0 installed, can I just copy these into the program files folder and overwrite existing files with the same names to "upgrade" to this service pack?

Does the way I installed the client matter to which files here get copied in? (in other words, if I installed a minimum or a complete installation, does it make a difference?)
    Yes you can copy and overwrite these files and: no, it doesn't matter which way you installed the client. These files should be installed even on minimum installation. And if not: who cares if there is a file in your client-folder, that is never used!?!
  • Options
    Great point, thanks again Tim :)
    Trevor Norcross
    Network Administration
    Mirifex Systems
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You have to keep in mind, when the installer installs navision client on the system, all it does is:
    1) copy the folder "CD:\Client\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision" to your harddrive.
    2) make links in your start menu
    3) make an uninstaller in the "Add/Remove Programs".

Same story for NAS, Database Server, ... . (Off Course ... when installing the database server, it also installs the service by using a DOS-command with the parameters you configure in the wizard ...).

So you can overwrite the files on the CD, and create your own updated CD... .

[-o<

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog