Options

Your comments on this TM shot, please

slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
Hi all
Attached is the task manager status I see on a NAV 4 SP3 native server.
DB site is 36GB spreaded into 3 files in 3 disks.

your comments on any aspects of this values?
"A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
TM.jpg 54.2K

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Is there a problem? Do you have a question?
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Each file have own process... and question is? :?:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
    kine wrote:
    Each file have own process... and question is? :?:
    OK, this is what i was wondering. The cache size set on the server is 1GB, so here NAV uses 1GB for each file. Total usage of RAM is more than 4GB RAM (I earlier thought NAV uses only 1GB max).

My question (or opinion) is, by increasing the number of files and physical RAM of the server, the performance can be improved drastically?

This is a new installation on a new server and need to wait till Monday to see the actual performance improvement
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If each file is on separate physical disc (or disc pair), yes, there will be performance gain. But it is mainly because the HDD access speed. Of course, I do not know how much the cache have effect on this fact (that more files on more HDDs means better speed when using NAV DB Server).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Firstly its interesting to see 1gig cache. Its very hard to achieve this level of cache with commit cache, and it can be quite unstable. Be careful to test this.

Basically though I think you are miss reading the information. You only have 1 gig cache, and the three slave.exe instances are sharing that 1 gig. You have three slave.exe programs running, one for each disk. This program moves data from commit cache to the hard disks.

More cache wont make the system any faster, but it will make INDIVIDUAL users think the system is faster, because they get a quicker response, but it will still take the same amount of time to write data to disk. The only thing that will make the server faster is more spindles.
    David Singleton