Multiple Service Tiers

johntaylormfcjohntaylormfc Member Posts: 22
edited 2009-05-19 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I have managed to succcessfuly install two service tiers on our development server, and can open both via the RTC.

So i now have two NAV services, but only one Web Service.

I wish both systems to publish web services.

My original URL

http://localhost:7047/DynamicsNAV/ws/NAV2009/Services

Works fine. However when I change the servicename and companyname to match my second instance it will not load a list of web services.

http://localhost:7047/DynamicsNAVGCH/ws/GCH/Services

Do I need to create a second web service for the second instance?

Thanks

John

Comments

• apankoapanko Member Posts: 70
    I think, you should create the second Microsoft Dynamics NAV Business Web Services.

I've tried to do this with sc command and found out the strange thing.
    I used the command:
    SC CREATE MicrosoftDynamicsNavWS$test binpath= "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Service2\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Server.exe $test" DisplayName= "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Business Web Service Instance 2" type= own start= demand depend= HTTP

The service appeared in service snap-in. But when I started this server in event view appeared the event:
    Service MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$test is listening to requests at net.tcp://apanko-pc:8046/test/Service.

But IMHO it should be:
    Service MicrosoftDynamicsNavWS$test is listening to requests at http://apanko-pc:8047/test.

(I don't want to share ports)
    Of course I cannot see web services, but I can to open RTC and connect to "localhost:8046/test", even if I do not create Nav Server Service at all.
    Here are changed strings in CustomSettings.config:
    <add key="DatabaseName" value="ddd60"></add>
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="test"></add>
    <add key="ServerPort" value="8046"></add>
    <add key="WebServicePort" value="8047"></add>

Where is my mistake? ](*,)
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    I created a couple of posts, which explains these things - in fact they include a couple of .bat files to create and delete service tiers automatically.

http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk/archive/2008/10/29/the-service-tier.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk/archive/2008/10/29/multiple-service-tiers.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk/archive/2008/10/31/4-bat-files-for-the-client-tier.aspx

You will probably find the answer to your question in the second post.
    I did this because I found out that creating the webservice tier was very sensitive to naming etc. - and I got it wrong every time myself.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • apankoapanko Member Posts: 70
    freddy.dk wrote:
    You will probably find the answer to your question in the second post.
    I did this because I found out that creating the webservice tier was very sensitive to naming etc. - and I got it wrong every time myself.

Your bat-files work fine. Thank you.

I've used information from the second post when I was creating command string.
    I just wonder if it possible to create WS manualy? I see it is not trivial task.
  • johntaylormfcjohntaylormfc Member Posts: 22
    Thanks,

I had looked quickly through the blog, but had not noticed it was creating a new Web serivice as well.

Will try this tomrrow.

Thanks

John
  • johntaylormfcjohntaylormfc Member Posts: 22
    Batch jobs worked a treat.

There are some very clever people about!

Thanks

John
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi
    The posting of Freddy K. is very interesting. However, I think I've missed the important clue (my fault) :?

In a test environment I have the following:
    1 Physical Server with 1 SQL Server
    2 NST running each on a different database

We can open the 2 databases with RTC as follows:

localhost:7046/DynamicsNAV (without port also works because 7046 is mentioned in the clients config file)
    and
    localhost:7050/DynamicsNAVTest

So I can use both installations simultaneously.

The is question now:
    What is the idea behind the use of the batches and what is easier then? Again, I'm sure it's a good idea but I didn't get it by now...
    And how would the 2 links look like in Freddys solution?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas
    I found an error in my .bat files (or rather Daniel Steiner did - thanks)

If you add a Web Service listener without the corresponding Service Tier - then it will use type= own which doesn't work.
    I will upload a fix later today - it should only use own if it is a servicetier alone - else it should be share.
    I guess this is the problem you are running into as well.

Furthermore - some of the .bat files doesn't work if you only have a Web Service Listener (start/stop)
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
    freddy.dk wrote:
    II guess this is the problem you are running into as well.
    Hi Freddy
    Thanks for your comment. I did not have problems with your bat files, I rather did not understand the concept behind it. If you would explain it in more detail (also see my questions) I'll be happy.
    Thanks
    Thomas
    The .bat files are not necessary - and if you have 2 NST's - you can copy the directory manually and add the services manually - and this is a one time thing.

However - if you are a partner and you have a service tier machine with a copy of your customers installation for development - you want to streamline the creation of servicetiers - you want to have a structure for service tiers setup and you want to be able to start and stop these from the clients (developers machines or whatever).

This is what I use the .bat files for - I know that the DynamicsNAV instance is in the DynamicsNAV directory and at server:7046/DynamicsNAV - and I know how to get to the Web Service. Also Services are named consistently in services so that they are easy to find.

So the idea with the .bat files are consistency - just a helping hand.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Hi Freddy

Thanks a lot. One last thing to get it for me:
    What's the idea behind NetTcpPortSharing and has your solution something to do with it?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas
    If you have two services listening to the same port, then you need to run that service in order for that to work.
    Default, that service is not started - so I create a dependency to the service in order to make sure it starts.
    I like having service tiers seperated by instance name instead of port numbers - I think it is easier.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV

:idea:
    Ah, I think I got it.

So
    localhost:7046/DynamicsNAV
    localhost:7050/DynamicsNAVTest

can be replaced by
    localhost/DynamicsNAV
    localhost/DynamicsNAVTest

when using portsharing?

Thomas
    yes, or

localhost:7046/DynamicsNAVTest

(I actually don't know whether it adds the 7046 by default....)
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Or you can use my application for that (I will check if I do not have same "bug" as Freddy, because I based it on his bat files... :-)). See my blog (actual version) or download section (in the discussion under)... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • metaltoidemetaltoide Member Posts: 3
    I use .bat files and create two servers but i can't connect two services in port 7046.

But if i change port in CustomSettings.config i can connect two services:
    localhost:7048/DynamicsNAVTest

When it's the same port and i try to connect to RTC, Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service crash.

I work with window server 2003R2.

Any idea?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) I assume that there will be some error event in the event log. Check that for more info.
    2) You need to stop originally installed service tier to be able to create and use port sharing. The original service doesn't support it (have no enabled this possibility).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • metaltoidemetaltoide Member Posts: 3
    kine wrote:
    2) You need to stop originally installed service tier to be able to create and use port sharing. The original service doesn't support it (have no enabled this possibility).
    I know that originally service don't support port sharing.
    kine wrote:
    1) I assume that there will be some error event in the event log. Check that for more info.
    Aplication:
    Error .NET Runtime optimization Service
    Success:1101

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile: Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 . Error code = 0x80070002

In Sistem 2 errors:

Tipo de suceso: Error
    Origen del suceso: SMSvcHost 3.0.0.0
    Categoría del suceso: Sharing Service
    Id. suceso: 10
    Fecha: 13/05/2009
    Hora: 15:55:29
    Usuario: NT AUTHORITY\Servicio de red
    Equipo: SRVSQL
    Descripción:
    No se encuentra la descripción del Id. de suceso ( 10 ) en el origen ( SMSvcHost 3.0.0.0 ). Es posible que el equipo local no tenga la información de Registro o archivos DLL de mensajes necesarios para mostrar mensajes desde un equipo remoto. Es posible que pueda usar el indicador /AUXSOURCE= para recuperar esta descripción; consulte Ayuda y soporte técnico para obtener más detalles. La siguiente información es parte del suceso: System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.CallbackException: El elemento AsyncCallback inició una excepción. ---> System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.ExceptionUtility+InternalException: Error en Windows Communication Foundation. Las aplicaciones no deben intentar controlar este error.
    en System.ServiceModel.AsyncResult.Complete(Boolean completedSynchronously)
    en System.ServiceModel.AsyncResult.Complete(Boolean completedSynchronously, Exception exception)
    en System.ServiceModel.Activation.WorkerProcess.DispatchSessionAsyncResult.DispatchSessionCompletedCallback(IAsyncResult result)
    en System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.AsyncThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(IAsyncResult result)
    --- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna ---
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.SendAsyncResult.CallComplete(Boolean completedSynchronously, Exception exception)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.SendAsyncResult.FinishSend(IAsyncResult result, Boolean completedSynchronously)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.SendAsyncResult.SendCallback(IAsyncResult result)
    en System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.AsyncThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(IAsyncResult result)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.AsyncDuplexRequest.Done(Boolean completedSynchronously)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.AsyncDuplexRequest.GotReply(Message reply)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.HandleRequestAsReplyCore(Message message)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.HandleRequestAsReply(Message message)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.HandleRequestAsReply(RequestContext request)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.HandleRequest(RequestContext request, OperationContext currentOperationContext)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.AsyncMessagePump(IAsyncResult result)
    en System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.OnAsyncReceiveComplete(IAsyncResult result)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.FramingDuplexSessionChannel.TryReceiveAsyncResult.OnReceive(IAsyncResult result)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.SynchronizedMessageSource.ReceiveAsyncResult.OnReceiveComplete(Object state)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.SessionConnectionReader.OnAsyncReadComplete(Object state)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.OnAsyncReadComplete(Boolean haveResult, Int32 error, Int32 numBytes)
    en System.ServiceModel.Channels.OverlappedContext.CompleteCallback(UInt32 error, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
    en System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
    en System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP); SMSvcHost; 11320.

And another
    Tipo de suceso: Error
    Origen del suceso: Service Control Manager
    Categoría del suceso: Ninguno
    Id. suceso: 7034
    Fecha: 19/05/2009
    Hora: 11:08:37
    Usuario: No disponible
    Equipo: SRVSQL
    Descripción:
    El servicio Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service se terminó de manera inesperada. Esto ha sucedido 3 veces.

Para obtener más información, vea el Centro de ayuda y soporte técnico en http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any idea? Thanks!!