Options

Difference between Navision and Axapta

seanfuseanfu Member Posts: 2
Dose anybody know the difference between Navision and Axapta ?
People always told me Axapta is more expensive, that's it ?
How about the depth of functionality ? or
What kind of function/tasks is only available in Axapta not in Navision ?

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

SF

Comments

• Options
    mstallmannmstallmann Member Posts: 138
    From what I know, it seems that Axapta has more in depth manufacturing functionality than Navision. I have been told that it is much more complex and takes longer to implement as a result. I also know that the programming environment is truly object oriented and is quite a bit like the C#.net environment. Navision is object based (kind of like Pascal), but not object oriented and is very limited as such. However, I have been using NAvision for a couple of years now, and it seems to very efficiently handle 99.9% of all the customization requests. Once you get used to hte funky environment, it works really well.

From a marketing perspective, Microsoft fingered Axapta as thier enterprise solution (primarily large organizaions) as it has more complex functionality. Navision is being targeted as an application for small to medium sized businesses. As such, Axapta is much more expensive.

As a solution provider, our target market was to go after small to medium sized businesses, so we chose to deliver Navision. Not many medium sized businesses would use the more complex funcionality, and also would not pay the heftier price tag.

In addition, MS has been pushing the hub and spoke idea/technology for Navision. In this scenario, Navision works really well for the smaller departments/segments/businesses of larger organizations, making it fairly easy and straight forward to roll up child units into the parent organization.

As for some history...Navision is based on Navision Attain, the Navision flagship product. Long before MS bought Navision, Navision purchased the company that produced Axapta in order to go after the fortune 500's and larger companies.

I requested information about this from our MS rep, and I will post it up when I get it.

Hope this helps,

Mike Stallmann
    http://www.oztera.com