Options

Installer starts in the background

bglxxbglxx Member Posts: 12
Hi there,

I have installed Navision 3.70 on a brand new XP Machine. All things work fine until we press the Mail-Button in the Customer card (form 21).

After this windows slow down, a short message appears for some milliseconds on the screen and in the background behind all windows there is an installer trying to install something. Installer says: Error 1706, installation package for Navision 3.70 not found.

I have installed all features from Navision except SQL-Server and the local database.

Is there a solution available?

Have a nice day

Bernd Glueckert
Carpe diem - carpe noctem

Comments

• Options
    i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Have you installed Outlook and which version?
    My first gess, you have never run the Outlook client before.
  • Options
    bglxxbglxx Member Posts: 12
    Hello i4tost,

yes, we don't use Outlook. We're using Lotus Notes.

Navision 3.70 has to work without Outlook.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Carpe diem - carpe noctem
  • Options
    facadefacade Member Posts: 57
    It doesn't need Outlook in particular, but MAPI mail client.
    "Set program access defaults" or Internet Options > Programs should do the trick. But that doesn't explain the installation error you get.

Tõnu
  • Options
    MrDeeMrDee Member Posts: 48
    Sound like an auto-repair install.

Moderm installers (using an .MSI file as opposed to a setup.exe) write values to a database saying what has been installed or an entry 'install on first use' (wou might have seen this on an office install)

Any time your program tries to run an application, windows checks the install database to ensure that all the required files are in place. If not it will install them before continuing.

It soulds like the installer database thinks it needs MAPI.dll - and so is trying to install it.

This is a good thing - imagine a user deleted a crucial file after installation - this way the system will heal itself.
  • Options
    smatijevsmatijev Member Posts: 12
    We have the same problem but with outlook. Is there any way to solve this problem other then reinstallation of outlook?
  • Options
    MrDeeMrDee Member Posts: 48
    give the user attempting to use outlook administrator provs, start outlook, then take provc away
  • Options
    nostrannostran Member Posts: 106
    hi,

well i've encountered error 1706 couple of times when installing another software. its sometimes a very nasty one to get rid of. my best advice would be to clear out everything, i.e. first use the remove option of the control panel, then manually take out all the navision related files. u might want to check out the registry and take out the navision related stuff, but be careful when cleaning out the registry, cause u may crash your windows. so its better to backup system.ini before meddling with it.
    empty all temp files.

ok last but not least reinstall navision afterwards. it might solve your problem...