Virtual Service Tier?

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
edited 2009-02-06 in NAV Three Tier
Does anyone know if the service tier can be on a VM? Or does it need a physical box?

Comments

• freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    It can, but the WM needs to be part of the domain (or the client needs to use runas a user in the WM domain)
    It might not be the best performing solution of course - depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It's just that the system requirements are so small. And my company is all about virtual everything when they can.

If it can only use 1 CPU, only needs 35MB memory (we'd still give each 1 GB), it seems like it would be easier and more cost effective to build a small dual core system and allocate two service tiers on that one server (we have about a 100 user installation).

I'm not much of a hardware person, so I don't know if that truly makes sense.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Why bother with a virtual machine? Just install 2 NAV services on the same machine. The VM is just going to use CPU cycles.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    From what I've read, with 100 users you are likely going to need more than 2 services tiers. I've been hearing numbers in the 25 to 30 users per range.

Anyone have different numbers? Of course I think it depends on what they are doing.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    I actually just setup a Windows 2008 x64 Server (with Hyper-V) today and installed 3 virtual (32bit) servers on that - and it is my plan to install service tiers in those and make some testing - I will post my findings here.

I will also try to install multiple service tiers directly in the x64 server and see what runs best....
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.