Options

first client starts slow

Jan_LathouwersJan_Lathouwers Member Posts: 23
Hi All

The first time I start a Navision client every day, it takes about 5 minutes before I see logon screen. I don't find anything strange in the system log. What can be wrong? I'm using Navision 3.70 with windows small business server 2003.

Jan

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    The first Navision client that connects to the server, the cache (as defined on the server) will be filled with data. Depending on the size of this cache, this can take a while.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Jan_LathouwersJan_Lathouwers Member Posts: 23
    I have used the default commit cache setting (currently 151400). The server has 2GB internal memory and an intel Xeon 3.4GHz processor. 5 minutes seems a lot to me for starting a database that is only 400000 kb on this server.
  • Options
    Dean_AxonDean_Axon Member Posts: 193
    Just reduce the cache size on the server and the first client will start faster......

The down side is that transactional postings (where large numbers are involved) maybe slower.
    Remember: Keep it simple
  • Options
    NaviTools.comNaviTools.com Member Posts: 88
    Could it be that first user is also auto-starting your SQL Server?
    http://www.NaviTools.com
    Documentation for Microsoft Navision
    E/R diagrams, Workflow diagrams, UML diagrams, process diagrams
  • Options
    fbfb Member Posts: 246
    Or it could be...
    • You have virus scanning on the server, but have not excluded the db files -- during periods of inactivity they are closed; then when the first user reattaches, the scanner sees the open request, and halts the process while it scans the db -- takes a while!
    • You have other memory hungry processes running on the server -- during periods of inactivity, the Navision server service tries to be a good neighbor and releases its db cache; then when the first user reattaches, the server service has to fight for RAM -- lots of paging, etc -- takes a while!
  • Options
    Tommy_SchouTommy_Schou Member Posts: 117
    A question and a suggestion:

Q:
    Are you absolutely sure that the Cache fills up when the first client connects? I mean.. what should it put into the cache?

S:
    Do you shut down your server every night? If so are you sure that the Navision server is shut down prior to the server itself shutting down? If not then the first client connecting will initiate a recovery of free blocks on the Navision DB and this could very well take 5 minutes to do.
    Best regards
    Tommy
  • Options
    S111PPGS111PPG Member Posts: 6
    We have this same problem as well on our installation.

I'm just interested in what has been said about stopping and restarting Navision before and after system backup. How is this done exactly?

We use Backup Exec v9 and run Navision in application mode on the server, rather than as a service.
  • Options
    Tommy_SchouTommy_Schou Member Posts: 117
    S111PPG wrote:

I'm just interested in what has been said about stopping and restarting Navision before and after system backup. How is this done exactly?

We use Backup Exec v9 and run Navision in application mode on the server, rather than as a service.

I am afraid that I can't really tell you how you can accomplish this. Hopefully someone else will be able to. I don't have much experience in installing Navision other than as a single client installation on my own box since I am a Software developer only. 8)

Perhabs I should also elaborate a bit on my prior post regarding shutting down the Navision server-service before shutting down the server box itself. It may do this automatically. I wouldn't know. But IF the server box in question is rebooted every night then it should be simple enough to test my theory. Just stop the Navision server-service and then reboot the machine and see what happens when the first client connets.
    Best regards
    Tommy
  • Options
    BGIBGI Member Posts: 176
    S111PPG wrote:

Via a pre and post backup command in BE9.
    pre = something lile NET STOP 'name of service'
    post = NET START 'name of service'
    Rgds
    Benny Giebens
  • Options
    cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Hi! try to add a line in the startup parameter in services in order to assign more cache to the navision server. The line could look like cache = 20000. Then restart the service.