Options

The best web solution for Navision

JTProJTPro Member Posts: 169
edited 2009-01-04 in Navision e-Commerce
Hello all,

My client is working with native client of Navision version 5.0. He requested to create possibility to work on Navision via web browser. Can you help me to find the best solution to achieve this goal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
JTPro
Navision Application Version: 4.0SP1
Navision Database Version: 4.0

Comments

• Options
    IHateLinuxIHateLinux Member Posts: 223
    Hi,

there are a couple of different solutions, depending on the hardware and software infrastructure and the available budget.
    It depends also, what the users should have to do in NAV and which browser they are using as well as about how many users we are talking.

First there is Navision employee portal, which is a very lightweight SharePoint client for NAV.
    Second there is an Add-On called IT IS activigence, which offers much more possibilities than NEP, but also runs on SharePoint (either the free services or the big MOSS Server), but they have also a product for running under ASP.NET (without SharePoint).
    Third you can "publish" a terminal server through the internet either by using some sort of active X and IE or there is a new RDP web part from Microsoft (then again running in SharePoint).

Perhaps you can post some more details, what you want to achieve and the user count and we may give you some more detailed recommendations.

HTH,

Rainer
  • Options
    JTProJTPro Member Posts: 169
    Hello,

First at all, thank you for your response.

My client's company profile is related with keeping the books of other companies.
    He has like 20-25 companies on one database, and now he wants to give his clients possibility to check their accounts via web browser. Client will log on to the web portal, and he will have possibility, for example, to print a month sales report or print the copy of particular sales invoice. Generally speaking, the purpose of this portal will be strictly reporting.

Getting to the details:
    - no. of users: top 25.
    - printing report, printing sales invoices etc.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,
    JTPro
    Navision Application Version: 4.0SP1
    Navision Database Version: 4.0
  • Options
    IHateLinuxIHateLinux Member Posts: 223
    Hi,

thanks for the detailed information.
    As far as I can see, a terminal server does not make really sense (and costs).

Also NEP does not make sense, because you will need one NAS license for each company (because by default a NAS can only connect to one company in NAV when it starts).

I would recommend (and thats my private opinion) that you would have a look at the products from IT IS (and no, I do not work there and I do not get any benefits from supporting their products).

With the SharePoint solution you have easily access to the data, you can run reports and you can even upload them to the SharePoint. You may create a site within SharePoint for each customer so that there are no security concerns.
    They have also another product which allows to run one NAS with multiple companies, but I have not run that new product yet.

But I think this will be
    - the best technical
    - the most economic
    solution for you.

HTH,
    Rainer
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Citrix.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Celenia webforms is the easiest/cheapest to implement

Scriptservers TradePoint is also a webshop or for b2b
  • Options
    evaarriagaevaarriaga Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in the same situation as stated above, except that our numbers are higher.
    We want to give special treatmeant of some kind -user accounts shopping carts- to a base of 200 thousand customers.
    Basically allowing our customer to buy or download stuff according to who they are in our Navision customer table.

Currently we have disjointed shopping carts and web portals.

We are just now about to migrate into Navision 5 from FMServer9

Any general information about the pros and cons of the possibilities of how best to share Navision to the web will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eva
  • Options
    p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    just to keep the situation really clear, just offer them a reporting tool like SQL reporting. Especially because when they change 1 bit n NAV, the situation is not legal anymore...