Licencing Implication using Web Services

sim0nsim0n Member Posts: 13
edited 2008-12-02 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

Does anyone know the licencing implications of a web user for example consuming methods exposed through the web service table in the new version of NAV. Each time a method is consumed, is this a session in NAV used?

Thanks

Comments

• Jens_TidemannJens_Tidemann Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 14
    Web services does not consume sessions from your license - so you do not need to order extra users when using web services. But you do need to have the pages you expose in your license - so you cannot access more functionality through web services than through the client.
    Jens Tidemann
    Microsoft, Dynamics NAV

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    Sorry??? Came from a long discussion with the pricing team. Clearly states that webservices are for free, however the user on the other end is (in)directly using NAV (data), and thus has to be licensed with a Dynamics client for office. This goes for all internal named users, and for external users. However, external users can be topped with the external connector.
    Even when you have a website only looking up the postal code table, you have to buy these DCO's....
  • sim0nsim0n Member Posts: 13
    But we have the option of exposing codeunits, therefore if I have several methods in a codeunit can these not be called without any use of pages?

The reason I ask is I am working on a web service for a client (v4 sp3) and currently having to go via a NAS. Exposing codeunit methods directly would speed up development time and centralise all the coding and business logic within NAV.

Thanks
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    If the application on the other end is Dynamics CRM or NAV, it will be for free. Otherwise, you have to pay. Wether it is codeunits or pages doesn't matter.
  • Jens_TidemannJens_Tidemann Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 14
    ...if I have several methods in a codeunit can these not be called without any use of pages

Yes - you can call methods in a CodeUnit directly from a WebService without adding them to a page. In form 810 (Web Services) you can choose to publish your code unit as a web service and then each method in the code unit can be called from the web service.
    Jens Tidemann
    Microsoft, Dynamics NAV

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.