Options

Tool that can create difference file with % needed

Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
Does there exists a (compare) tool that can generate an ASCII-file containing all the differences found, together with the % changed, in a way like this:
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
! Table 81 Gen. Journal Line                                   !
+--------------------------------------------------------------+

Object is Changed (0,02 % changed)

--- Before ----

IF (GenJnlTemplate.Type = GenJnlTemplate.Type::Financial) AND
         NOT TestReport THEN
          IF "Account No." <> '' THEN
          IF ("Currency Code" <> '') AND
             ("Bal. Account Type" = "Bal. Account Type"::"Bank Account")

--- After -----

IF (GenJnlTemplate.Type = GenJnlTemplate.Type::Financial) AND
         NOT TestReport THEN
          IF ("Currency Code" <> '') AND
             ("Bal. Account Type" = "Bal. Account Type"::"Bank Account")

The main issue is that differences should be placed one above the other, and not side by side. And I need for each object, a percentage to know how much the object is modified.
No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)

Comments

• Options
    tvandongentvandongen Member Posts: 78
    Luc,

I use Diff doc for comparing (http://www.softinterface.com/MD/MD.htm). Don't know if it is possible to see a percentage, but it highlights very easily the differences between 2 files.
  • Options
    g_dreyerg_dreyer Member Posts: 123
    edited 2004-11-23
    You can try beyond compare as well ( http://www.scootersoftware.com/ ).

Look at the different types of reports that you can print (or copy to the clipboard).
    Unfortunately no %, but they show the number of lines. Really a great product (but not as good as araxis' merge utility ( http://www.araxis.com/merge/index.html )

Cheers,
    Gus
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    I also love Beyond Compare. It's really great tool to compare folders/files/contents of files...

BTW Gus, can you remove ) from your hyperlink...
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Not a problem, thanks for that....

Been a member for quite some time now, but did not use to post that much. Now that I have rssbandit, it's much easier for me to monitor new posts. Only problem is that I am currently working in NZ, therefore a huge time difference...

Just to let you know Robi, I will be releasing a file splitting tool soon, that I currently use for Beyond compare. I just need to clean the code a bit and add documentation to it. It will also include a merge tool that takes all the individual files and merge it into one file (you know how boring it is to import those individual files).
    You are probably asking why another object splitter... mine is much nicer, instead of just object numbers, it includes the object name as well, therefore much easier to compare.

Cheers,
    Gus
  • Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    hm sounds interesting. Is it better then NDT?
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    You cannot customize NDT, but keep in mind it's not a comparison/merge tool, the splitter creates more friendly file names during the split, which is great when looking at the comparison list in beyond compare.
    Also..It uses the name of the file to be split to create a new directory, and then proceeds to split the files in the newly created directory.
    Pretty cool :lol: , so you do not need to specify a directory.
    I find that it cuts down on my time when doing comparisons.

It's written in Nav (so you can customize it for your own needs), with a very easy to use interface (file navigation), I want to add some modifications to make it extensible, so that everyone can easily add their own custom modules (hopefully share it with the rest of us as well) to it... but we will see how I do with time.

These custom modules include File Splitter, File Merger, and...
    I will throw in a fob viewer as well (based on Flemming R. Petersen's FOB list v1.01), but it handles .fob and .txt files and a bonus feature which ties in with exporting objects for comparison.

So watch the space on the downloads section. Still have to come up with a cool name for it though... :roll:

Cheers,
    Gus