Options

Securing Ctrl+F8 (Zoom) Tables ???

emkproemkpro Member Posts: 47
Hi,
A minute ago i was trying to create a passwordtext field but when I looked it with zoom menu it was there as a normal text. Is there anyway we can edit those menus too ??
//EMK\\

Comments

• Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    I dont think you should (and can) disable the ctrl+f8 key. You can disable ctrl+f8 but not the menu item in the extra menu.

In many cases you don't want to store a password in a table field. I dont know if you have to do this. Other wise you can just create a global variable on the form and place this variable in the source expression of the field instead of the table field.

I did this once. I stored the password in a registry value trough automation.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    PrebenRasmussenPrebenRasmussen Member Posts: 137
    Instead of trying to tamper with the Navision menus, you should just use the build in security.

Here you just have to remove the users Execute rights to object type "System", object ID "5330".
  • Options
    Franz_U._WøhlicheFranz_U._Wøhliche Member Posts: 1
    Use the facalities in the system table User (ID 2000000002) - Validate the password value into the user tables password field, and use the new encrypted value in your new field. It is not decrypted in the zoom view!
  • Options
    jhoekjhoek Member Posts: 216
    In Preben's solution, the database administrator will still be able to see the password when she opens the table from the Object Designer. Depending on the application, I think this can be very handy. In Franz' approach, the password is encrypted and cannot be converted back to clear text.
    Kind regards,

Jan Hoek
    Product Developer
    Mprise Products B.V.
  • Options
    jemmyjemmy Member Posts: 247
    Hi Emk,
    Is there anyway we can edit those menus too ??
    I don't know. I think this should be C/Side functionality?

But If I'm not wrong, your goal is to keep password safely.
    If you store your password in database in the encrypted format, even tough you press Ctrl+F8 you can't see the decrypted.
    I see that Zoom functionality will display all fields based on sourceTable you defined in the form.
    However, you can create a variable type record then its subtype will refer to your table, and make your Form.sourceTable = ''. Then Zoom won't work. :wink:

Hope this helps,
  • Options
    Thanks to all your replies,
    I am sorry that I possibly misdirected you. I wanted to learn if I can thinker with zoom table. I believe there are some fields that are not shown in it. So not showing some fields (that I selected) in the table would be enough. Still disabling zoom view for some users will be simple enough.
    Though this was an I wonder question.

But what i really need is creating alias names for some items. That someone will be only seeing the alias name and somene else will be seeing both or real name. I think that can be done by using different forms but I am open to ideas ??
    //EMK\\
  • Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    Hi,

As far as I know only the "FlowFields and their contents are not shown" in the Zoom form.

You could disable from the roles/permissions the System->Zoom and make your own Zoom form.
  • Options
    miguel.tiagomiguel.tiago Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Arhontis I'm affraid yu're wrong. It's possible to see the content of a FlowField with Zoom Func. The only fields that you can't see, because they don't exist in the table, is fields created in forms. The fields ShortcutDimCode[n] in purchase and sales lines form are in this situation.
  • Options
    jmjm Member Posts: 156
    Hi miguel.tiago,

the FlowFilter-Fields are not shown in Zoom Func, too.
    because they are no real Fields with information in the database.

br
    Josef Metz
    br
    Josef Metz
  • Options
    nelsonnelson Member Posts: 107
    The value of a FlowField is displayed on the Zoom window if it has been calculated on the Form where Zoom is opened from.

If you Zoom in on a Customer from the Customer Card, you will see the value of the Balance FlowField - which is shown on the Customer Card and hence automatically calculated - but not the value of the Net Change FlowField.
    Nelson Alberto
  • Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    :oops:

Sorry, you are right guys, I made a quick look and didn't see the "Balance" and I assumed that the help, I copy/pasted the sentence from, was right.
    Zoom

You use the Zoom function and see a list of all of the fields in a given record.

You can use this function by clicking Tools, Zoom.

Most of the windows in Navision display only some of the fields contained in the record that is displayed. It is possible to insert all of the fields so that they can be seen in the window. Use the Zoom command to see what fields are available. The Zoom window also shows the contents of each field in the current record (card or line). FlowFields and their contents are not shown.

To insert fields in the window, you must use the Tools, Designer function.
    This requires that you have permission to use C/SIDE, the development environment.

For more information about the Zoom function, see the Application Designer's Guide.

Corollary:
    Read the help, but don't rely on it... I know I won't...
  • Options
    Thank you all for your efforts :D. They were really helpful to me.
    It is great to be in such comminity :wink:
    //EMK\\