Options

US Sales Tax

mjrogersmjrogers Member Posts: 59
Hi,

Firstly, while searching the forums I found a number of US Sales Tax posts, most of which hadn't been answered... looks like a nasty subject.

So, having comprehended the US Sales Tax system in 3.7, I've started setting it up. My customer wishes to assign the sales tax area code via the zip code of the ship to address. Unfortunately I can't find a zip code / Sales Tax Area mapping table. The only other solution I can see at the moment would be to use the City / County fields of the address to find the area. The problem I have with that is data consistancy. Navision will be importing the Sales Orders from a third party system and data integrity cannot be assured.

Does anyone have a zip code to Sales Tax Area code mapping table for California and Washington? :begs: Or has anyone another idea how to solve this problem?
TecSA Malaysia

Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. -
David Brent

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
  • Options
    mjrogersmjrogers Member Posts: 59
    Many thanks Savatage (great band btw)... Unfortunately the post you pointed me to was not directly of help but at least I found another great forum to browse through.

My investigations thus far have revealed that MBS doesn't supply a zip code to tax area matrix, but that other companies do, also as stand alone databases. These cost around $100 per state or $999 for all States depending on vendor and can be updated annually.
    TecSA Malaysia

Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. -
    David Brent
  • Options
    steveegnjsteveegnj Member Posts: 1
    The task of automating Sales Tax entry from Zip Codes in Navision has been a 5 year pre-occupation! Unfortunately, your assessment of it being messy is an understatement. Consider that Sales Tax Jurisdictions are often State, County, Municipality and District (I won't even get into what they do in Texas!). Some States are State only, some are State with some Counties . . . A State Sales Tax can be returned easily from a 3 diget Zip Code, using a simple Table lookup. The simplicity, however, ends here. Many Zip Codes span more than one County, and many more include more than one Municipality. Districts may include specific Counties, Municipalities or both. I've often been tempted to pay the $100 price to see how it is done for a single State.

The websites I've found most useful are:

The AICPA Sales & Use Tax Portal- http://www.aicpa.org/yellow/yptstax.htm

Melissa Data's free Zip Code Lookup's- http://www.melissadata.com/Lookups/index.htm

Good luck!

Steve Goldstein
    Senior Business Analyst
    iCepts Technology Group
    Middletown, PA 15057