Options

Drawing on the back of job card

abioteauabioteau Member Posts: 3
Hello,

While printing a job card list, we want for each job card to have the item drawing on the back of the job card (our printer can handle front&back printing).

What we are currently doing is to use the blob to save a jpeg file (compressed) in a folder and we add a field in the item card to enter the link for the picture file.
Everything works fine but resolution is so bad that it doesn't really help. If we increase the resolution, either time needed to print the job card is huge or we can only see the middle of the drawing.

Is there any way to print directly an Autocad file or a compressed TIFF file (picture format). This last format, when compressed, makes small files even with good resolution.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    PrebenRasmussenPrebenRasmussen Member Posts: 137
    You can convert the autocad file to PDF.
    When printing from Navision also create a PDF.

Then you combine these two into one PDF and send i to a duplex capable printer.
  • Options
    abioteauabioteau Member Posts: 3
    I can easily generate a pdf file (file 1) from Navision with one job card per page.
    I can also (less easily) generate a pdf file (file 2) that contains every drawings in the same order than the job card order.
    Then the problem is to combine the two files so each page of the file 2 is inserted in odd pages of file 1.

What PDf software are you using to combine the two files ?
  • Options
    Ghostscript works like a charm for this...
  • Options
    GrantGrant Member Posts: 30
    I have encountered this exact issue for a client of ours. Believe me, I explored a number of options, all of which seemed to come up short somehow. The solution which eventually worked the best involved a 3rd-party software vendor who supplied a tool that converts PDF files into BMP files. (www.pdf-tools.com)

This allows me to print a PDF drawing directly from within Navision. The tool is called "PDF2BMP". It converts a PDF file into a BMP file. This way, any Navision report can "on-the-fly" convert a PDF file into a BMP file, then print the image directly from within Navision, by importing the BMP file into Navision before printing it.[/url]
  • Options
    Grant, your suggestion is good, but it might not hold, if the second pdf is more than one page, right?
  • Options
    GrantGrant Member Posts: 30
    Yes, every item PDF drawing fits exactly one page. If an item took more than one page, it would have to exist in multiple PDF documents - "itempage1.pdf", "itempage2.pdf", etc.