Options

NAVISION:Citrix with or without VPN

meranamerana Member Posts: 41
Please help!

We have some doubts about VPN and Citrix. We should have Navision clients on remote locations. If we use VPN, do we need Citrix, or vice versa.....
Please explain.

TNX

Comments

• Options
    synapticsynaptic Member Posts: 2
    Hello Merena,

i don't think that you HAVE to use Citrix but it makes things easier and helps to reduce administration. You install the Navision client on one ( or more ... ) server and many people can use it from the remote sites.. Citrix also compresses the traffic so you can connect your remote site with thinner lines. An alternative is using the pure rdp from ms. ( which cheaper than citrix ). It depends on how many users connect from remote locations. With Citrix you can do loadbalancing etc.
    I think you will need fast lines and much more bandwidth when you connect directly from the remote location to your navision database, but I don't have any experience with that environment. We are using Citrix to connect our remote users and we are more or less happy with that.

bye
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Minimum bandwidth for thick client is 10mbps. If you have VPN with this bandwidth for client, you are lucky. If you dont have this bandwidth, use some RDP client or Citrix. In this case ISDN (64kbps) is sufficient. Only when you want print on local printer there is needed more bandwidth because whole print file must be transfered. (all bandwidth is per client and is theoretical with practical tests). 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    pszoke1pszoke1 Member Posts: 4
    We have 90 users on Citrix MF 3 with VPN. Becasue of Bandwidth issues, you must use MS Terminal Server or Citrix. The bandwidth requirements as stated in other response would be too much for us to afford anyway. We have 20-25 users per Citrix Server. Works fine.
  • Options
    DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    Using MS RDP or Citrix on line < 10mbps is better than using "thick client", as Kine wrote. We have one customer, which has not RDP (he is running NT4 server without Terminal services and we are connecting via ISDN to them. Client operation is really slow, for example loading an 250 kb object file takes 10-15 minutes :roll: . Citrix or Terminal services are better :wink:
    Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis