Options

Beginner's Queries on Axapta Development

rufruf Member Posts: 5
edited 2004-08-09 in Dynamics AX
Hello
I am new to Axapta. I was working on Great Plains before i started Axapta. I want to know few things about Axapta Development:
In my Application Configuration, the application object layer is SYS. Is it okay to use this layer? I have read about the layers but i actually dont know as if what should be used for development.
it would be great if someone could summarise a small app dev and deployment (or send a URL for the same)

Thanks a lot for the Help.
To Err is Human, To Debug...Divine.

Comments

• Options
    MugurMugur Member Posts: 93
    HI,

The sys layer is the first one (in a serie of about 8) and can only be accessed by the ones that are developing primary versions of Axapta (the producers). The others, in a bottom-up order (gls, .. , usr) are used for the service packs changes, partners and resellers solutions, customers' own implementations etc.

You are not actually working on the sys - to work on a specific layer you must also have to enter an access code in the Configuration Utility. If your license file does not contains this, than the implicit layer is usr (which is the last (upper) layer, available to the end user changes). Still, the usr is just fine, you can implement your solutions on it with no problems, and eventually import these on an upper layer, later.

You can read more about layers in the Axapta Developer Guide.

You can find more info about Axapta:
    - training.navision.com - here you will find a lot of on-line courses
    - technet.navision.com - contains many development guides and module courses, in a downloadable format.

Best regards,
    C D
    Kind regards,

Ciprian Dudau
    Axapta Developer
  • Options
    rufruf Member Posts: 5
    Thanks a lot Mugur. i have registered on these sites.
    The documentation is not classical Microsoft Documentation :).

Would appreciate if you could give me your IM handle. Some problems (which are not really problems but stupid/amateur mistakes) consume a lot of time and could be solved easily by the help of an experienced person.

maruf_d@hotmail.com
    clayface_m@yahoo.com

Hope you don't mind.

Thanks.
    To Err is Human, To Debug...Divine.