Options

User Groups in Sql

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
edited 2008-02-14 in SQL General
Hi Everybody,

Has anyone ever used the User Groups in SQL and therefore in Naviison as well. I have used them in Navision 4.1 but there have been so many problems realted to them that had to opt for the users themselves.

Any feedback is welcome.

Comments

• Options
    NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    What are you up to?

In my opinion, using the navision security (logins, roles and permission) is enough for controlling every user.
    Navision noob....
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    sabzam wrote:
    Hi Everybody,

Has anyone ever used the User Groups in SQL and therefore in Naviison as well. I have used them in Navision 4.1 but there have been so many problems realted to them that had to opt for the users themselves.

Any feedback is welcome.

You mean "managing user permissions directly on SQL though User Groups"? Or you mean using User Groups in NAV running on MS SQL?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Do you mean Roles or are you referring to AD groups?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    If you are referring to windows groups being entered into the Windows Login table, and granting users access to NAV via the group then there are some things to note.

If you are using the Enhanced security model you still need to include the actual user as well as the group that you are trying to use. However, when you assign NAV Roles you only need to assign them to the group and not the user.

For the Standard model, the user does not need to be present - just the group.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    There is a whitepaper on partnersource that explains this: Security Synchronisation.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!