Options

[S]Is Navision backup still necessary when using SQL option?

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
edited 2007-12-10 in SQL General
Do you still need to do Tools --> Backup in Navision if you're doing a full backup using SQL?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You need to do that only if you want to backup selected company. You need to have on mind, that NAV backup will never do backup of specialities connected to MS SQL like views and other things. IF you are using something like this, you need to use the SQL backup and not the NAV backup, else you will be not able to restore the db...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    NAV backups are not necessary to maintain database integrity or anything if that's what you're asking. You can completely restore a NAV database using a SQL Server backup. Using SQL Server to implement a comprehensive backup strategy gives you the flexibility to schedule them without having to purchase 3rd party products, AND you can restore back to the second you lost the database, provided that the backup strategy is set up correctly for that purpose.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Hey guys, thanks for such a long and descriptive answer.

But a simple yes or no would've answered by question. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    Well a long time ago I heard that you can still have a valid SQL backup and yet still have a db that is corrupted from Navision's perspective (obviously the odds are very small).
    So I usually have my clients do 1 Navision backup a weekend. As far as I knew when taking a Navision backup, Navision checks the integrity of the database from its own perspective so that way the backup routine is for me more of a way of ensuring validity from Navision perspective as well.

Are you saying you completely do not need it anymore?
    Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    That's what Microsoft is saying now. You can do a database test without backing it up.
  • Options
    TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    cnicola wrote:
    Well a long time ago I heard that you can still have a valid SQL backup and yet still have a db that is corrupted from Navision's perspective (obviously the odds are very small).
    So I usually have my clients do 1 Navision backup a weekend. As far as I knew when taking a Navision backup, Navision checks the integrity of the database from its own perspective so that way the backup routine is for me more of a way of ensuring validity from Navision perspective as well.

Are you saying you completely do not need it anymore?

If at some point you've done data import and let's say for example in your CODE field lowercase values where imported - you will successfully be able to do SQL backups. However, while doing NAV backup you will get errors. Therefore, sometimes it's good to do a NAV backup, just to be sure everything is fine.