RUNNING NAVISION v4 (SP1) ON APPLE MACS

LaurenceSidneyLaurenceSidney Member Posts: 9
Dear All
I have a prospective client who has Apple Macs and wants to run Navisionv v4 sp1.

I have tried to find out data on WINE as a means of terminal emulation.

Does anyone have any experience with WINE or any other way to use Navision on Apples MACS?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

LaurenceSidney :lol:

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    i use Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac to connect to our Windows-Navision Server

Free Download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherprodu ... ktopclient
  • LaurenceSidneyLaurenceSidney Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for this Savatage.

It looks exactly like what I am after.

Appreciate your help on this one!

LaurenceSidney :P
    No Problem - Glad to help! 8)

* Note you might have to change to a two button mouse - those one clickers don't let you access every goody.
  • aarondaarond Member Posts: 16
    I know this post is old - but one of my clients has a number of users who are on MACS, but we can't seem to get the F keys to work!!

Is there a way?
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    aarond wrote:
    I know this post is old - but one of my clients has a number of users who are on MACS, but we can't seem to get the F keys to work!!

Is there a way?

I don't think so, although you may want to try the latest beta release of the Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac, I know they made some changes to do with keyboard shortcuts etc. but I've not tested it myself yet.

Boot Camp or Parallels could also be an option if you want a true Windows experience on your macs. Boot Camp is now part of the OS in Leopard too.

Another way of course would be to run the On-Screen Keyboard when your connected to your windows session - not a nice solution, but a solution :D
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
    although you may want to try the latest beta release of the Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac, I know they made some changes to do with keyboard shortcuts etc. but I've not tested it myself yet.
    Currently, Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2.0 (Beta 2) is only available in English, and supports only US English keyboards.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads. ... wnload.xml

Hey maybe it's the keyboards... Here's some MS Keyboards for Mac
    aarond wrote:
    I know this post is old - but one of my clients has a number of users who are on MACS, but we can't seem to get the F keys to work!! Is there a way?
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherprodu ... #keyboards
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I have one customer running with macs and terminal services.

Don;t know exactly how they did that but if you have specific questions I can always ask.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    The dual boot option on Macs seems to work quite well. One of the people at Directions used a Mac for NAV development.
  • serdarulutasserdarulutas Member Posts: 50
    > @DenSter said:
    > The dual boot option on Macs seems to work quite well. One of the people at Directions used a Mac for NAV development.

Thanks @DenSter. I am planning to buy a mac and use boot camp with windows 10 pro iso image to work with Nav. As far as I understand, that’s a reasonable solution.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    edited 2019-01-16
    I've actually used a Mac primarily myself for about 5 years (it's still sitting on my desk over there --->). I would consider using some sort of virtualization over bootcamp, because that way you can set it up so that you can access apps that are running in the VM from the host dock (the MacOS version of the start menu is called 'Dock'). As far as I know, with Bootcamp you can't do that.

I switched back to PC because of much more stable Sky for Business, the one for Mac was notoriously unstable for me. You can set up a VM with WIndows Server 2019 and run your dev environment in there, and then you can do your development straight on the Mac itself. I looked into running Bootcamp and decided to go virtual instead, for me that worked out much better.

This is a 12 year old thread by the way, I am sure if you start a new one and ask for recommendations, you would get a bunch of good advice. There are a bunch of developers at Microsoft even that do everything on Macs