NAV 5.1 delayed to Q4 CY2008

2»

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Reading conspircy theories are always fun and non-educational. :wink::mrgreen:
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    I had suggested in another thread, but they could just release the service tier for web service.
    A lot of solution can be built around web service. It's multi threaded and solution centers that have web stores will move all their code overnight to a webservice, instead of NAS solution.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I would like to see this happen as well, but there is no statement whatsoever about plans like this.
    Next week, at Convergence, this is definitally going to be part of the discussions.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Lars_WestmanLars_Westman Member Posts: 116
    ara3n wrote:
    I had suggested in another thread, but they could just release the service tier for web service.
    A lot of solution can be built around web service. It's multi threaded and solution centers that have web stores will move all their code overnight to a webservice, instead of NAS solution.

This is also my opinion. Why not release 5.1 as planned but without the new client. I think we all would love the new service-tier and still keep the two-tier client for a while.

It's the new client that i'm worried about. It's a huge change. All that is exposed to the user is changed. New reporting based on Reporting Services (in version 1.x, Crystal Reports is on 9.x now), no matrix forms, etc etc. It's a really big challenge for MS, ISV's and partners (and not to forget the users..).

I think it's a wise decision to postpone the new client and call it 6.0. But I would really like to see a 5.1 that is just the web service tier and the MOSS Display Target.
  • Ilana_Smith_[MSFT]Ilana_Smith_[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 5
    We're reading/hearing the feedback, so Darren's addressed some of the big questions on our team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav/archive/2007/ ... -2008.aspx
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Thank you Ilana, for replying to this thread! Nice to see Microsoft is taken their community involvement so seriously.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    ara3n wrote:

Rashed,
    Today, at Convergence, it was stated quite clear: they will NOT release webservices before 6.0 . Simply by the fact that the webservices need the service tier for this.

:cry:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    The service tier is not ready i guess just for webservice?
    Or it could be compiling of the objects?

One thing that is good news is commenting of localization.
    I've done many merging of different countries and this will help alot.

I saw this interview about languages in general and it was very interesting.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=349220

It explains why current .NET languages are not ready as an ERP language and we might see a new language down the line. Or maybe CAL.NET
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Well, again, let's hope not.

When you call a language ".NET", it means (for me) that it should use the .NET framework in full. That's the same for C#, VB and would be for C/AL as well.

Doesn't seem feasable to me, actually...

Eric Wauters
    My blog