Options

installation

ChrisChris Member Posts: 7
edited 2007-10-08 in SQL Performance
Hello everybody,

We’ve got a customer who is upgrading from nav 2.60 to 5.00. They do have a lot of external program’s who communicate with nav true dataports. Now the customer wants to implement new external tools which they write themselves. They want to use the SQL-server version of Navision. It’s a small company, only 12 nav-users.

Their current installation is on a HP-server with:

- Processor :
* Type = Xeon
* Internal speed = 3,2 GHz
* External speed = 800 Mhz
* Std/Max = 1/2
* L2 cache = 2 MB
- Geheugen
* Totaal = 3 GB
* Geheugenmodules totaal: 8
- RAID Controller
* HP Smart Array 641
* Gesupporteerd : RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
* SCSI kanalen : 1 intern
- Hard disks
* 2 x 72 GB 10.000 rpm (hot -plug)
* Netto schijfcapaciteit met RAID 1 = 72 GB
128MB Battery-Backed Write Cache Enabler
36GB U320 Hot Plug Hard Disk 15000 rpm
72GB U320 Hot Plug Hard Disk 15000 rpm
Totaal beschikbare hard disk capaciteit in RAID 1 = 36GB + 72GB = 108GB

Now they are testing Navision in a sql-test environment but it’s really slow to use.

I’ve searched the net maybe not enough but I don’t seem to find any minimal systemrequirements.

Does anybody know if it could help to add memory to the server or is the server simply to weak?

Thanks,

Chris.

Comments

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    The hardware requirements are on the download part of the mibuso website.

In the first test SQL will always be slow since it has to warm up. Post the same order again and use that for measuring.

How big is the database and how large are the posted tables?
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And it is not clear if the 2 disks in mirror are used for system or just for the DB. All-on-one disk solution is not good...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Chris wrote:
    Totaal beschikbare hard disk capaciteit in RAID 1 = 36GB + 72GB = 108GB.

Configuring a 36GB + 72Gb as RAID 1 will not give you 108GB usable. It will result in 36Gb usable (the smaller of the 2 drives).
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    The best performance I've seen with Navision (SQL Version) has come with SQL running on a RAID 1+0 configuration.

The SQL Server Resource Kit (available through partnersource) also provides a lot of different pointers on dealing with deadlocks, defragging indexes and optimizing tables. This is definately something you should check out.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com