Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer's Toolkit Being Discontinue

Thomas_Hviid_ThornThomas_Hviid_Thorn Member Posts: 92
Hej

I just saw, that the Developers Toolkit is being discontinued :(:(:(
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer's Toolkit Being Discontinued as of October 1, 2011

Microsoft ended support for the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer's Toolkit (NDT) in January 2010. Accordingly, Microsoft has decided to discontinue sale of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer’s toolkit -Source Analyzer and Developer’s Toolkit – Compare & Merge modules to customers via the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Price list and SPLA effective October 1, 2011.

See announcement here:https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/pricing/announcements/msdynav_comparemergemodulediscontinue.htm

The replacement ought to be http://www.idyn.nl/products/objectmanageradvanced.aspx
Does any of you have experience with the tool?
With Kind Regards
Thoms Hviid Thorn

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Thomas,

Microsoft also suggests looking at MergeTool. This was the orriginal tool that Navision shipped before they introduced the Developers Toolkit.

There are more options.

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/mark_brum ... art-i.aspx
  • Thomas_Hviid_ThornThomas_Hviid_Thorn Member Posts: 92
    Thanks, what a great list!

My first feeling was sadness because I'm really going to miss Developers Toolkit!!

But then, this is an opportunity to learn a new tool (and honestly, that NDT wasn't that great :-#).
    Also NDT was created be someone else than Navision, so someone else than Navision might do another great tool :)
    With Kind Regards
    Thoms Hviid Thorn
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Never used NDT.

More of a Winmerge guy myself. Mergetool is cool as well.
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    We started using IDYN's Object Manager last year and I have to say I am pretty pleased with it. It has some really good features around version and project control. There are links for external source repository's (setting up TFS is on my list of things to sort out), the ability to do code branching, live comparisons between databases and a whole bunch more.

When deploying objects to other databases you can set up a bunch of actions that need to be automaticly performed, this has come in very handy when you need to update a setting as part of a deployment across multiple companies.

Plus as its written in NAV you can extend it if need be.
    Regards

Ian
  • DakkonDakkon Member Posts: 192
    I also use Object Manager and I have to say it's been a sanity saver for me. Quite frankly it does more than the developer toolkit ever did anyway. Honestly I could go on and on about how useful OM is and how much I use it day in and day out, but my best recommendation is to just download it and try it out. There is a free version that still has a ton of useful features and I think that sells the product by itself. If you have a very structured environment for rolling out object updates, you'll enjoy using this tool. Oh, and no I don't work for Object Manager, I'm just a passionate customer of theirs :D
    Thad Ryker
    I traded my sanity for a railgun :mrgreen: