Nav 2009 Classic Client & 5.0 objects

KeithMMooreKeithMMoore Member Posts: 59
We are currently using an industry-specific VAR-version of Nav [read "heavily modified"]. Their upgrade toolkit for Nav 2009 will not be ready before end of Q1 2010. We are launching a donor portal and want to take advantage of the web services in Nav 2009.

We have set up a test environment where we installed the Nav 2009 classic client with a copy of our 5.00 object set. Thus far the tests have been promising but the VAR just notified us that we are not to do this. The only info to date I have found is http://blogs.msdn.com/nav_developer/archive/2009/05/08/upgrading-older-databases-to-nav-2009-runtime.aspx

I am interested in anyone else's experience/knowledge on this question of using Nav 2009 classic with 5.0 objects. If we cannot do this, it will create a ton of extra work for us to try and do a decent donor portal under the Nav 5.0 client having to use NAS.

Thanks much.

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I see no issues here. We have a number of clients using NAV 2009 classic clients with older databases. Even one doing what you intend. That is using NAV 2009 Web Services with a 5.0 database. There you do need some NAV 2009 objects as noted in that blog.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    You should have no problems doing this. I was running 3.7 objects in a 2009 client for a very short period of time.
  • ALopez27ALopez27 Member Posts: 42
    I'm very new to NAV 2009, but that is what we are using, but we are only using the Classic client, are web services installed as part of just the classic client installation? How can I find that out? I guess my real question is if we can start looking into using web services even if we have no RT clients installed, if so, how do I go about learning the basics of this?

A.L.