Other ERP's best when compared with Navision

austinaustin Member Posts: 191
Hi experts,

I dont know ho w you are managing the clients with Navision .
But it is very difficult to satisfy clients with the Standard Navision.

Because the Folllwoing are common requirements inany company.
1. Purchase Indent and Authorization
2.Purchase enquiry
3. Vendor comparision statement
4. General Voucher suthorization
5. Finance Vouchers Authorization

Inventory
1. Quality control
2. Mateial Inward register
3. Material receipt certified
4. Materail Isstue to other departments and Authorization
5. Inventory qty inDiffernt UOMs
6. While transfering the items increase Unitcost.

Payrooll :

payroll

Subcontrcting :

Subconracting service contract

Like this there are lot of Points are not available in standard Navision.

Now days it is difficult to get a project ,
even i got a project again we have totell to client the above are not availabe in navision .
we hve to customize , sao client need to purchase the tables, forms, reports.....

Even Local ERP;s has he above functionality as standard.

But M I C R O S O F T Navision doesnot have the standard functionality.

Why it is going like this ?

what about Microsoft ,
why Ms failed to provide the Standard unctionality.

Let me know experts..............

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Just look on list of existing addons. Everything you mentioned is already solved by some addon. But I NEVER saw just Standard installation. Each time there are some customizations for the customer. If every customer needs that, why you didn't create the addons already? It is not Microsoft fail, it is partner's fail... :whistle:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • austinaustin Member Posts: 191
    Thanks Mr. Kine,

It’s Not Patner’s Fail, it’s totally MS fail.

What I mentioned above the functionalities every company will follow in India . those are the standard Functionalities.

purchase indent is standard in any company , like Material issue …..

Again you are pointing out the aadons. That is what iam asking why I need to go for Addons even for standard Functionalities.

When we go for demo then client will ask the standard process what they are following .

If we say that is not standard , we will do customization for that then again you have to purchase tables, forms…

Then what client will say on that.

If it is specific customization for that Customer then partners will ready to do that .

Why MS not supporting the standard Functionalities.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The product you describe would be so latent with "features" that it would never make it out of QA and into the market. Microsoft would get blasted in the trade press, year after year, about how antiquated their system was and why was it talking so long to bring out a new version. They would see market share dwindle and fade into oblivion as the price rose outside the reach of it's customer base.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    austin wrote:
    Does it matter why? Does it make a difference to know the actual reason? The biggest is probably a matter of priorities. There were probably more important things to do, given the budget, the number of people available. Besides, what YOU think is standard might be completely different from what another consultant thinks. Every single implementation that I am a part of I have to deal with people telling me that the way they do it is industry standard, and every single implementation there are big differences.

MS DOES support standard functionality, it just happens to be a different standard than your standard. It is simply not possible to support every single "standard" functionality in the world. Localizations are a good step in the right directions, and there are probably many local business practices in many countries that many feel must be part of the localizations.

Give it time, maybe at some point the features that you mention will be part of the Indian localization. Right now they aren't (which by the way I am going to just take your word for), and that functionality will need to be developed either as an add-on or as custom development.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    austin wrote:
    Hi experts,

I dont know ho w you are managing the clients with Navision .
    But it is very difficult to satisfy clients with the Standard Navision.

before I get too involved in this thread, could you explain your role in the company? Are you a sales person, Analyst, Developer, Project manager, Consultant, Trainer or some other role?
    David Singleton
    austin wrote:
    Thanks Mr. Kine,

It’s Not Patner’s Fail, it’s totally MS fail.
    What I mentioned above the functionalities every company will follow in India . those are the standard Functionalities.
    purchase indent is standard in any company , like Material issue …..

Again you are pointing out the aadons. That is what iam asking why I need to go for Addons even for standard Functionalities.
    When we go for demo then client will ask the standard process what they are following .
    If we say that is not standard , we will do customization for that then again you have to purchase tables, forms…
    Then what client will say on that.
    If it is specific customization for that Customer then partners will ready to do that .

For example, I will hate NAV if there will be some Indian local functionality in W1 version of NAV. I hope that you understand that this is thing which must be done locally, and common solution is add-on or some push on local Microsoft, but Microsoft will do the localization mainly if it is legal requirements.

We have similar difference in our country, which we are solving more than 8 years by own addons or by addons of other partners. This year is first when MS is preparing official localization for the specific area of system. All is question of communication of partners and MS. In most cases there is some group of partners which are in close contact with Microsoft people and are working or consulting these localization issues.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • KtbKtb Member Posts: 11
    Isn't it somewhat obvious that a local ERP system will have all local functionality, while a global product will require addons? If you were to compile a list of ALL country's local requirements, could they conceivably be implemented in to one product?

As others have suggested, within one jursidiction I have had different companies insist that certain things are 'standard' to that place, while our other client down the road, within the same vertical, has a different idea... Many times I have heard a prospective client say 'this feature should be standard,' when they really mean 'we want to try and get away with not paying as much.'

Aside from all that, surely the most telling fact is that we are managing to sell it.

Anyway, the requirement for addons and customisations is why I get paid every month :P
    David wrote

before I get too involved in this thread, could you explain your role in the company? Are you a sales person, Analyst, Developer, Project manager, Consultant, Trainer or some other role?

I am working as Functional consultant.

Kine wrote :

but Microsoft will do the localization mainly if it is legal requirements

The functionality What I mentioned are standard and Legal Functionalities. Every company needs that above Functinalities.

Denster wrote :

it just happens to be a different standard than your standard. It is simply not possible to support every single "standard" functionality in the world. .

the above functionalities It 's not only one company standard functionality. If a person started a trade company then he needs that above functionalities. those are common .

Finally what i understand MS has to develop the local Functionalities according the comapnies what they need.
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Austin,

you talk about local legal requirements. And I agree, those should be in the product, but only in Addons.
    If you want your local legal requirements in the standard product, are you then also willing to pay for legal requirements from other countries that you don't need?
    Are you willing to pay for something like the Belgian VAT or US sales tax? What if your company uses an external payroll application, are you then still willing to pay for the payroll application in NAV? Cause no matter what, these requirements cost money to develop and to support.

And another thing, these addons supply a lot of jobs for people outside of Microsoft.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    Mr. Willy,

Clients are ready to pay to Microsoft when that functionalities are available in standard Navision.

If we say that functionality is not available in Nav , we have to do customization , then client is looking for another product Like SAP, Oracle………..

This is problem.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    austin wrote:
    Mr. Willy,

Clients are ready to pay to Microsoft when that functionalities are available in standard Navision.

If we say that functionality is not available in Nav , we have to do customization , then client is looking for another product Like SAP, Oracle………..

This is problem.

Do you think SAP, Oracle, etc. do this any different? Many of their so-called "features" are developed an marketed by third-party integrators.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Mr Brown.

That’s true , I will support but when if it is not standard functionality then we have to go for Add – on.

But it is not possible to go for a add- on even for Standard functionality .

What u say ………………….
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    austin wrote:
    Mr. Willy,

This is problem.

Austin,

I used to work for a company like SAP or Oracle. And we did not develop all countries local legal requirements into the standard product.
    These could be purchased at a cost at either 3rd parties or at the local office. Most of the times the local office did not develop the local legal requirements.

The functionality is there in NAV, you have to purchase it at a 3rd party.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    Even local MS office did not provide that functionality [-o<
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    austin,
    it does not seem like you are reading what all the experts are telling you.

the product cannot be all things to all people, out of the box.

if you are selling NAV in India and you are seeing that it lacks functionality that is required in your market, you should work out what existing 3rd party add-ons deliver that functionality and/or develop your own interal solutions for that functionality. When you sell the product to clients, you include the price of those 3rd party/internal add-ons in your quote/bid. you can also be in steady communication with MS India regarding what the marketplace is after. maybe they will eventually get around to localizing the product better. in the meantime, do your homework and put together comprehensive quotes to customers that includes NAV and any add-ons they will need.

If you find that you cannot sell NAV in India, maybe you should look into selling another product. that's the beauty of capitalism; you don't have to sell a product no one wants.
    kind of fell into this...
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Of you do not believe NAV can deliver what your clients are looking for, then perhaps it's time to look for a new job in other software.

There are tons of partners out their with their clients fully satisfied with the product (including ours). So bashing NAV because you don't think it fits your needs means either you need to take more time to learn the software and it's features and capabilities, or leave NAV.
  • sriram_venkatsriram_venkat Member Posts: 129
    I think what Austin mentioned as concern was not looked at correct sense. Because what ever he was asking was not restricted into Indian scenario and these are required as global functionalities like Purchase Indent Tracking, Purchase Enquiry, Voucher Authorization, Quality COntrol etc. (Of course there were some specific requirements).

Options like Voucher Authorization, Quality control are required anywhere in the world and how can we convince a client that a world class software does not have it.

So trying to get an add on will not work. Its high time Microsoft brings these on World wide version
    BlackTiger wrote:
    Dear austin,

I hope your customer will not buy anything from your company.
    Also I hope you will not sell anything to such customer.

It would be better for both of you. Because neither you nor your customer do not understand NAV and each other.

:shock: So Black tiger is capable of a thought out coherent response to a question. Please lets have more post like this that are constructive.

\:D/
    David Singleton
  • DivyaDivya Member Posts: 125
    Hi,

I wont accept ur comments, Actually Navision is a one of the Best ERP Product. As a Functional Consultant, u should know how to fit the Customer Requirements into Navision Functionality. Navision has all features indirectly. U have to analyze all those process. Then only u can get the solution.

I agreed ur mentioned requirements, Really they have needed those requirements. But u should know how to handle it in Navision.
    Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat
  • samblue600samblue600 Member Posts: 84
    Austin is absolutely rigth and absoloutely Wrong. Navision is best but there are few Standard functionality that are missing as rightly pointed out by Austin. Especially quality , Indent , Enquiry etc.

why nt MS try to bring it as Standard
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Divya wrote:
    Hi,

I wont accept ur comments, Actually Navision is a one of the Best ERP Product. As a Functional Consultant, u should know how to fit the Customer Requirements into Navision Functionality. Navision has all features indirectly. U have to analyze all those process. Then only u can get the solution.

No ERP can be defined as universal best, may it be NAV, AX, SAP, Oracle Apps. Most of the time it depends upon the bussiness model, geography of operations and so on.... Where SAP will fail NAV can succeed (can not will) and vice versa. The requirements put in by you :
    Indent : Can be handled thru Requisition Worksheet (actually that is the way to do it)
    Voucher Authorization : Can be controlled by combination of different batches, user rights, posted number series.

Regarding Quality module, the concept is so wide to cover the same in one model , quality of a TV manufacturing company will be different from company manufacturing neddles...So you can customize or buy addon available
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    edited 2008-10-30
    Divya wrote :

Navision has all features indirectly

Really :-k

Then nobody need not to go for Addon & customization…………..
    Mr.Singla,

I know you are rock on Indian Localization, But should not give the alternative solution even for standard functionality
    Indent : Can be handled thru Requisition Worksheet (actually that is the way to do it)

you know very well Requistiion worksheet never work as a Purchase Indent.

Voucher Authorization : Can be controlled by combination of different batches, user rights, posted number series.

The client always ask the Authorization like Purchase & sales , not like above what u mentioned.

What about material issue to issue the material to other departments. :-k

Like this when it comes to production I need lot functionalities even it is a standard in any Manufacturing firm. #-o
    is a standard in any Manufacturing firm

There is NOTHING like "standard in Manufacturing firm". There is no "standard Company", there is no "as any other company" etc. May be only in some area where the companies are franchising and have same model, but even in this case there will be differences...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    If there is no standard Manufacturing , standard company , standard process for any company can I know how anybody developed the ERP’’s :-k