Options

Item Substitutions

FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
I'm confused about this...

On the Item Card I define an item substitution for a particular part (lets say part ABC) for another one (DEF).

My expectation of this behavior would be as the following.

I have 100 of part ABC in stock, and 300 of DEF. My customer requires 200 of ABC. I would think that Navision would take the 100 of ABC that I have, and supply the remaining 100 from DEF.

In my mind, this would work by adjusting the quantity on the original line to 100, and creating a second line with the substitution part in the remaining quantity... is this incorrect, or is there some way (short of a modification) to have Navision do this?

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    We've had our order system modified so I'm not sure if i remember the orignal function, but I do not believe this is the way it works.

if DEF is basically the same as ABC and you don't have enuf ABC it will look at DEF and fill the order.

I understand you want to get rid of ABC first if you could. Another train of thought is why would the system make you pick from 2 locations for essentially the same part. So it would leave ABC alone until an order for 100 or less comes in.

I could be wrong :wink:
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    edited 2006-12-04
    That's basically what one would expect, but unfortunately its more of a "replacement part no" than a true substitutions module.
    Fisherman wrote:
    I'm confused about this...

On the Item Card I define an item substitution for a particular part (lets say part ABC) for another one (DEF).

My expectation of this behavior would be as the following.

I have 100 of part ABC in stock, and 300 of DEF. My customer requires 200 of ABC. I would think that Navision would take the 100 of ABC that I have, and supply the remaining 100 from DEF.

In my mind, this would work by adjusting the quantity on the original line to 100, and creating a second line with the substitution part in the remaining quantity... is this incorrect, or is there some way (short of a modification) to have Navision do this?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Savatage -

Basically it works like this.

One of our lines of business is repackaging supplier materials for use on our customer's production line. For example, we take a pallet of 1000 of ABC, and put it through a production process with a BOM that consists of ABC, a cardboard tote, labor, and any packaging materials, and produce part DEF. For that, we are paid a per-piece packaging charge.

Our customer, however, is contracturally in charge of ensuring that the cardboard tote makes it to us. If we don't have any totes, then it is not considered to be "our fault", and we ship the unpackaged units. We still collect our packaging charge.

This is why I was wondering about this. I think we may need to modify it to suit our needs. In fact, I might even change it to ensure that we have all required raw materials to suit a production order for the finished good...
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Item substitutions work great the way they are designed for us.

we are an auto parts distrutor.

part xyz is the Original equipment part number

and we may have 10 sustitute numbers the are equivalant but made by different manufactures.

I customer will call on part XYZ and say I only want original parts. so he pays a little more and get the manufactures part.

another customer will call and ask for XYZ and we say we have for $100, but we also have this one for $90 and this one for $75

So we would never want the system to automatically substitute parts for us, it is alway a call made at the time of sale.

Also, we rebuild items, so when we look up a BOM for a Transmission, if we don't have a OEM part we look at the substitute to determine if we have that in stock.
  • Options
    Fisherman wrote:
    Savatage -

Basically it works like this.

One of our lines of business is repackaging supplier materials for use on our customer's production line. For example, we take a pallet of 1000 of ABC, and put it through a production process with a BOM that consists of ABC, a cardboard tote, labor, and any packaging materials, and produce part DEF. For that, we are paid a per-piece packaging charge.

Our customer, however, is contracturally in charge of ensuring that the cardboard tote makes it to us. If we don't have any totes, then it is not considered to be "our fault", and we ship the unpackaged units. We still collect our packaging charge.

This is why I was wondering about this. I think we may need to modify it to suit our needs. In fact, I might even change it to ensure that we have all required raw materials to suit a production order for the finished good...

Actually I had a client in Atlanta that did a similar thing. They did things like package AOL Coffee Mug Stands (sorry, I mean AOL CDs), or MacDonalds happy meals. They had lots of "parts" they could use, and so long as one got packed, that was acceptable. In that case we did virtually the same mod you are asking for, i.e. create an extra sales line, (or if it was prior to assemble we would change the BOM line they used assemble boms, not manufacturing, so it was a little more complex).

Actually the biggest issue with this mod is reservations, since its a nightmare if you make the substitution at order time, and between then and shipping the quantities change. Its not as easy as it first seems.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    edited 2006-12-04
    themave wrote:
    Item substitutions work great the way they are designed for us.

we are an auto parts distrutor.

part xyz is the Original equipment part number

and we may have 10 sustitute numbers the are equivalant but made by different manufactures.

I customer will call on part XYZ and say I only want original parts. so he pays a little more and get the manufactures part.

another customer will call and ask for XYZ and we say we have for $100, but we also have this one for $90 and this one for $75

So we would never want the system to automatically substitute parts for us, it is alway a call made at the time of sale.

Also, we rebuild items, so when we look up a BOM for a Transmission, if we don't have a OEM part we look at the substitute to determine if we have that in stock.

Yes this is exactly what it was designed for , i.e. its a replacement part list, not a true substitutions system. When used as designed it works really well. In fact Navision could get a lot less customer complaints if they could sometimes just get the terminology right.
    In fact Navision relies on the NSC explaining all this stuff to the client, whereas it would be so much easier if it was correctly documented.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    themave -

I could only wish that it were that simple for us. The real kicker here is that we never actually own the item that is being packaged. It's just at our facility.

David Singleton -

Thanks. I think I'm going to try to create this mod in a test environment and see what I can make happen.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Fisherman wrote:
    themave -

I could only wish that it were that simple for us. The real kicker here is that we never actually own the item that is being packaged. It's just at our facility.

David Singleton -

Thanks. I think I'm going to try to create this mod in a test environment and see what I can make happen.

Thanks again!

No problem, just an end user, so I don't have access to cal code in forms, but I know what I would look at to accomplish this if I did,

the extended text code does exactly this, you put the item on a sales order, if the item card has a check box for automatic extended text, it inserts a new line on the sales order with it. I would start there, seems a relatively easy way to copy existing work to get what you want.
  • Options
    themave wrote:
    No problem, just an end user, so I don't have access to cal code in forms, but I know what I would look at to accomplish this if I did,

the extended text code does exactly this, you put the item on a sales order, if the item card has a check box for automatic extended text, it inserts a new line on the sales order with it. I would start there, seems a relatively easy way to copy existing work to get what you want.

Actually creating the line is pretty easy, its handling all the exceptions that gets complex, like if someone else sells those items bfore you post, or new old items come in. But defintiely its doable, and worth working on.

By the way, if you have MSDN, then you hae a Navision developers license in there. Its quite new, so many people don't know about it. It can't be used for development in a live environment, but for learning its perfect. You seem like a person thet needs to get in and see what is happening. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Fisherman wrote:
    ... The real kicker here is that we never actually own the item that is being packaged. It's just at our facility.

That was the same scenario we had in Atlanta.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    By the way, if you have MSDN, then you hae a Navision developers license in there. Its quite new, so many people don't know about it. It can't be used for development in a live environment, but for learning its perfect. You seem like a person thet needs to get in and see what is happening.

say what...?

Which disk...?
  • Options
    Fisherman wrote:
    By the way, if you have MSDN, then you hae a Navision developers license in there. Its quite new, so many people don't know about it. It can't be used for development in a live environment, but for learning its perfect. You seem like a person that needs to get in and see what is happening.

say what...?

Which disk...?

This is very very new, and it has not even been announced. Its not on the DVDs. By the way this was announced at Tech ED in 2003 in Minnesota, but it took another three years to actually do it.

Personally I think putting a developer training license on MSDN is the greatest single achievement Microsoft have made since they bought Navision. It now means real people can finally learn Navision, and we will see an exponential growth in the number of developers over the coming years. Without the inability to get a license has been the greatest barrier to getting porogrammers to come over to Navision.

Who ever did this =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Any way links don't work from MSDN sooooo:

Click on the Subscriber benefits, Downloads and product keys:
    Go to the MS Dynamics section (thats real new, it was MBS a month ago):
    Find Navision 4.0 and North America:

from there you should find it.

You get access to every object, Table, Form, Report Codeunit Dataport XML in the 1234567800 to 1234567899 range. Plus Access to a lot of the base objects. Definitely enough to learn how to program.

PS I asked Microsoft at Convergence if I could get 10% on every MSDN subscription I sold for people wanting to learn Navision, but no go :-s
    David Singleton