Options

Convergence 2005 5.0 presentation

kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
Hello!!!

Right now I returned from the NAV 5.0 presentation. It seems, like some good changes are ready for us. Brief description is on my Blog site (http://msmvps.com/blogs/kine/). For more info you can wait for the official presentation release, because I am unable to remember all things they showed us.
Kamil Sacek
MVP - Dynamics NAV
My BLOG
NAVERTICA a.s.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Could you also suggest to add the option to over receive on PO and warehouse. Have it setup so that you check and uncheck it. They have 4 months to deliver it. I'm sure they can do it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Being able to over-receive is already a feature in 5.0. At least, it was in the version I saw in Directions.
  • Options
    Will NAV 5 be truly multilanguage? I mean Unicode UI and data.

Sorry, bad news for you... no, there is no plan to move NAV to Unicode. They told that it is better to use AX when the unicode is needed. I know, that this is not the answer you want to hear, but, sorry... (until there will be S/SIDE, it will be not unicode...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    Could you also suggest to add the option to over receive on PO and warehouse. Have it setup so that you check and uncheck it. They have 4 months to deliver it. I'm sure they can do it.

That there are 4 months to release, it doesn't mean that they can change something in this release. The change/release cycle can take one year. Right now, the testers in MS are working on SP1 for 5.0 and as you know, the 5.0 is not released yet. It means, the development of 5.0 is closed now and they are working on SP1. It means, any changes they will do now, will be included in SP1 (if they will be critical) or in SP2, and it means may be beginning of the year 2008... :-). It is not like in you company, that you do the change and tomorrow the customer is using that. There is big testing procedure, documentation etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    This all sounds great kine, I just like to remind of 4.0 SP2, and maybe it's not the case all the time. If you look at 3.6 version serial no disaster, 3.7 in warehouse mgt. 4.0 and SQL 2005. I'm just wondering what kind of testing they do.
    My guess it's the same testing the way clients do testing of our code.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    mel_sadekmel_sadek Member Posts: 23
    Unicode is something that Mogens Elsberg and Kim Iberfelt are seriously considering, but have no plans for in any of the upcoming releases, including 5.0 and 5.1. It's possible that this may be done for 6.0 or before Wave 2 is over, but as far as they know, Unicode hasn't really been discussed or implemented as of yet.

Of course, it would make a lot of sense to them so that they can widen their market exposure, especially in China and Japan, but they stress that this is not something small like a couple of lines of code in parsing. This is a fundamental feature in the architecture that has to be completely overhauled for Unicode to be incorporated.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    It is all about propositioning and marketing.

AX is for international working companies and NAV not. If you want to use NAV for that it is your choice not theirs.

But they are seriously considering it and the more requests they get for this the better. We have seen many propositioning changes for NAV in the last 18 months.

As for making changes in NAV, please take in mind that building a release for 50000 customers is not something to take easy.

As Kamil explained at NAV they work with release cycles, we have had quite an interesting chat about this with some MS folks at Convergence but unfortunately I never now about those things what is and what is not under NDA.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Switch to unicode isn't so difficult than you can imagine

The Unicode-subject was (and is) sensitive to users. It has been submitted several times to microsoft by partners and customers. Do you really think that, if it isn't so difficult, MS wouldn't have foreseen it already?

I agree with Mark. It's all about focus.

And indeed, the more requests, to better chance you have it will be foreseen in one of the future versions.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Upcoming version NAV 5.1 forum to Navision forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!