Options

Nav 2015 - Report printing - Possible to do asynchronous printing?

Hello all,

Currently I have a background process which will complete tasks through out the day. One thing that it will do is print out reports; however what I notice is that once the report has run and the pages start printing (and you see the window that displays "Printing xxxx Page X of Y") the background process is blocked until the window disappears, so that even through the report has run, until the pages are completely finished sending to the printer, the process is not able to continue.

Is there a way around this as sometimes we have big prints that block the process for a while. Remember that the report is not really the problem, but the actual printing side of it.

I tried to put the report in a STARTSESSION but I believe that process has issues printing due to permissions etc on the server so I was looking for an alternate

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    HannesHolstHannesHolst Member Posts: 119
    Hey,

My first assumption is, that the report is called with RUNMODAL.
    Try to call it with RUN instead.

Alternatively, you could think about to outsource the printing into an independent step, executed in the evening or so.

Good luck,
  • Options
    KevinsanityKevinsanity Member Posts: 8
    Hi HannesHolst,

No it is using RUN not RUNMODAL and unfortunately the printing needs to occur at that time. For further clarification the printing is actually printing barcode stickers for a warehouse, so a user may start something that prints these stickers, and while they are printing they are blocking other users from doing things as well
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    I suggest instead of printing it to save it to PDF. and open it with pdf viewer and printing separately in the background.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n