Options

MS Dynamics NAV on Docker

koubekkoubek Member Posts: 84
edited 2017-02-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I have been trying to dockerize MS Dynamics NAV (right now just Service Tier) but I have some problems with the compilation process. When starting NAV service the service goes up and is running for a while but then stops. I can see (watching EventLog) it fails when trying to compile NAV objects (*.cs files to *.dll files).

Docker version:
Client:
Version: 1.14.0-dev
API version: 1.26
Go version: go1.7.3
Git commit: e308f6b
Built: Tue Nov 22 18:15:55 2016
OS/Arch: windows/amd64

Server:
Version: 1.14.0-dev
API version: 1.26
Minimum API version: 1.24
Go version: go1.7.3
Git commit: e308f6b
Built: Tue Nov 22 18:15:55 2016
OS/Arch: windows/amd64
Experimental: true

I had the same problems on the version 1.12 as well. Anyone else is trying to work with Docker as well? I would appreciate any help with this stuff as it can simplify and automate a whole deployment process (I don`t want to go with Vagrant as Docker could offer better efficiency in all aspects).

You can find my Dockerfiles here: https://github.com/Koubek/dockerfiles-dynamics-nav.

And the main errors from the EventLog (hierarchically ordered list):

The following error repeats for several NAV objects. I am pretty sure I am using the DB from the same DVD (version).
Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.Exceptions.NavNCLMetadataCompileErrorException - Compilation of assembly 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\100\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$NAVSERVICE\assembly\Record27_108.dll' failed. This can be caused by differences between binaries in your installation or your database. Ensure that all installation components are consistent and up to date. Error details: error CS0010: Unexpected fatal error -- 'Unspecified error '
The business assembly for type CodeUnit bucket 0 cannot be loaded because of the following error: error CS0010: Unexpected fatal error -- 'The paging file is too small for this operation to complete. '
Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.Exceptions.NavSessionTerminatedException - The server stopped the session (ID: 2) because of a stop session request.

Thanks in advance for any hint or comment!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi again,

it looks like the problem has been solved. The solution is not absolutely perfect but I am able to build and run NAV 2017 with any CU almost with one command on any PC with Win10 (not HOME edition) and WinServer2016.

Regards,
    Jakub
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Tips & Tricks' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Hello,

I would like to tell that we have added docker-compose process as well so you are able to deploy both, NAV service and SQL server containers quite easily now.

You just copy the content of NAV DVD to the specific folder, then you copy SQL DB files into another one and specify names of those files in the config file.

Now, you can start the process by executing just one bat file.

After all you have NAV ready and responding...

More details here: https://github.com/Koubek/dockerfiles-dynamics-nav#getting-started and here http://navblog.infoma.de/index.php/tag/docker/