Mysterious "DotNet Interoperability" Category in the Add-in table

EvREvR Member Posts: 178
Hi all,

Does anyone know what is up with the add-in category type 'DotNet Interoperability'?

kgx8vd9t7p7z.png

What does this do? Can we import .net assemblies in the same way as we all do with JavaScript addin resources? Does this mean we don't have to copy custom .net assemblies to all our NST's anymore? What is this undocumented category and how does it work?

Gr, Erik

Best Answers

• wakestarwakestar Member Posts: 207
    edited 2016-12-13 Answer ✓
    Right, in my case I have *one* zip with all of our DotNet - Assemblies (several .NET - Projects / Assemblies).
    In the past this one zip - file was extracted to one folder under der AddIns - Folder on the service-tier.
    Now I just create several records in this table with always the same *zip* file. For each assembly which gets called from NAV I have a record (with the correct name, public key, version).

Answers

• EvREvR Member Posts: 178
    No one? :(
    The MSDN page on this subject is as useful as a 'lorem ipsum' page...
  • archer89archer89 Member Posts: 337
    the msdn page for that topic: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh895495(v=nav.90).aspx

category "DotNet Control Add-in": used for visual control add-ins
    category "DotNet Interoperability": used for non visual .net assemblies, which extend the functionalities of dynamics nav (need no entry in addins table, but should also be saved to addins folder)
    best regards
    Franz Kalchmair, MVP
    Alias: Jonathan Archer

please like / agree / verify my answer, if it was helpful for you. thx.
    Blog: http://moxie4nav.wordpress.com/
    I know. But like I said, the MSDN pages on the topic are not helpful at all.
    They don't explain anything.
    edited 2016-12-13
    Thanks very much for the reply.
    I've actually tried this route. But as soon as NAV invokes a method that uses the assembly, it still throws the exception that the assembly cannot be found.

What I did:
    - In our setup routine, create a new Add-in record of Category 'DotNet Interoperability'.
    - The setup routine also downloads the resources (.zip file containing the assembly plus one referenced assembly Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage) and stores it in the Resource BLOB field. Both assemblies are signed.
    - Restart the NAV service.

The add-in record contains the zip file because I can export it. Both files are present in the zip archive.
    hb2md3jhvl2j.jpg

The exception:
    umueqidobrnh.jpg

Any suggestions?

Gr, Erik

• wakestarwakestar Member Posts: 207
    edited 2016-12-13 Answer ✓
    Right, in my case I have *one* zip with all of our DotNet - Assemblies (several .NET - Projects / Assemblies).
    In the past this one zip - file was extracted to one folder under der AddIns - Folder on the service-tier.
    Now I just create several records in this table with always the same *zip* file. For each assembly which gets called from NAV I have a record (with the correct name, public key, version).