Options

SCEP crashing on machines with NAV 2016

afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
On machines with NAV 2016 and Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012 R2, we are finding that System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP – an antivirus produced by Microsoft) keeps crashing.

The error from Event Viewer is below. The faulting module MSVCR120.dll is for MS Visual C Redistributable.
Faulting application name: MsMpEng.exe, version: 4.10.207.0, time stamp: 0x58070b2f
Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006dd27
Faulting process id: 0x4780
Faulting application start time: 0x01d24ad79b2d384e
Faulting application path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR120.dll
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I had solved this once by removing NAV 2016, removing Visual Studio and anything else that uses VC++, removing SCEP, restarting, and then re-installing those products.

Over the months, we installed some other builds of NAV 2016. The error is now re-occurring.
We have a similar Windows 2012 R2 machine with NAV 2015 and NAV 2017, and SCEP runs fine there.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks,
Alastair
Alastair Farrugia

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    hi

NAV uses the newest version of "Microsft Visual C++ redistributable".
    If SCEP uses an older one, when you install NAV or any other program that use "Microsft Visual C++ redistributable" then it will overwrite the old version used by SCEP.
    SCEP will look for old version it cannot find it , hence errors.
    If you install NAV first then the new version of "Microsft Visual C++ redistributable" will be installed. If you install SCEp after that then it will recognise that "Microsft Visual C++ redistributable" is a new version or not, I am not sure.

Anyhow I think this is more a question for SCEP community, as it seems that their libraries do not play very well with NAV and newest versions of Windows.
    For that reason, I think SCEP community would be the right place to ask.
    Also other antivirus software might be an option.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited 2016-12-07
    Hi vremeni4.

Many thanks for your post. I did not get notified about it, which is why I'm only replying now.

My (temporary) solution was to uninstall NAV 2016, SCEP and other products, and then re-install SCEP, followed by NAV 2016. So I don't think that NAV always overwrites the "Microsft Visual C++ redistributable" (or if it does, then it doesn't always cause this problem).

I will check with the SCEP community.
    Alastair Farrugia
  • Options
    I opened a MS support case, and was told that it's a known issue. They suggested a workaround (which still leaves the machine vulnerable in some places, which is why I'm not giving the details here).

Regards
    Alastair
    Alastair Farrugia