Issues with Dynamics NAV 2016 demo installation

KarantorKarantor Member Posts: 1
Hey everyone,

I've been having an issue launching my demo installation of NAV 2016. After multiple attempts, I've not been able to successfully launch the RTC. These attempts include re-installing Windows 10, to ensure nothing is impeding it, and the steps below follow when my Surface Pro 4 had launched the guided welcome in Windows.

1. Finish the Windows 10 installation.
2. When asked who owns the device, select "my workplace," and then connect to Azure AD.
3. Finish setting up the device with a PIN and Windows Hello.
4. Download the latest CU of NAV 2016 (at time of writing, I believe that's CU12).
5. Extract the files, and then run the setup.exe in the folder.
6. Select the "Demo Install" mode and let it finish installing.
=> Install finishes successfully.

From here, I open up the NAV Administration management console just to check that the Service Tier is running (which it is). The following steps are then taken:

1. Start the Dynamics NAV 2016 client.
2. On start, an error message is displayed "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\'."
3. Dismissing the error brings me to the server selection dialog, where it'll continue giving the same error until I close NAV down.

In order to track this down, I opened up the Event Viewer, and found the following error entry:

Type: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
StackTrace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavFile.GetUserDirectoryAndEnsureExists(DataError errorLevel, Boolean tempPath)
Source: mscorlib
HResult: -2147024893

The entry is made by the MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$DynamicsNAV90 process. Trying to debug this with JIT debugging in Visual Studio did not help me, as it doesn't break on the exception, even if I tell it to.

If I open up the Development Environment, it can connects to the service tier, but if I attempt a simple compilation, it will also error, saying that it was not able to compile because of [several possible reasons] (and generates another entry in the Event Viewer with the same error message). Attempting to run the debugger hits the same error message as trying to open the RTC.

This is reproducible through several re-installations of Windows 10 (build 1607 - Anniversary Update). I've done three so far, in an attempt to get the demo installation working.

I have a suspicion that this might be because of setting up my device as being owned by the work place, and connecting to Azure AD, which then might mess up how it sees where the user directory is (as that's the function it's throwing the exception on).

Would anyone know how I can proceed? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• SowkarthikaSowkarthika Member Posts: 102
    Is your installation issue resolved? You can try disconnecting internet from your machine and reinstall navision.