Options

Create a new service to test a hotfix.

dbabasdbabas Member Posts: 33
Hello experts,

Many hotfixes and all technical upgrades require to replace executables within the service tier folder. On the same time, the best practice is to first test a hotfix before to move it to live environment. Is it possible to create manually (by using sc command for example) a second service which will be targeting hotfix's executable on the same machine?

Yesterday, I tried to accomplish this with a NAV 2013 installation by executing the following steps:
1. Copied the original executables into a new directory
2. applied hotfix
3. created a new service by using sc command and targeting the new executable
4. configured the new service from NAV Administration console
5. started the new service under “Network Service” account
6. applied hotfix to the local RTC client

Unfortunately, when the RTC client trying to connect to the new service I am getting the following error:
"A server was not found at .... Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available."

Is this possible for 2013 and later versions of NAV? If not is there any other solution to test a hotfix without asking the client to provide a separate machine in order to install a second service tier?

It is worth mentioning that the default 2013 service has a different format of "Path to executable" property in service's "Properties". More specifically,in 2013 you can see a format like

[Executable path] $[Service Name] config "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\70\Service\Instances\[Service Name]\[Service Name].config"

while in my manually created service there is only the [Executable path]

In other words, it seems that the service that the installation procedure creates targeting a different config file for each service which of course makes sense, given that multiple services with different configuration can be created by using NAV Administration console.

Is there a way to create manually a service with the format described above?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Answers

• Options
    archer89archer89 Member Posts: 337
    check windows eventlog. maybe you miss delegation setup.
    best regards
    Franz Kalchmair, MVP
    Alias: Jonathan Archer

please like / agree / verify my answer, if it was helpful for you. thx.
    Blog: http://moxie4nav.wordpress.com/