Options

Techsavvy error - when using multiple NSTs accessing Azure SQL

robintheswederobintheswede Member Posts: 12
edited 2016-07-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi guys,

we at Navet are currently setting up two new NAV 2016 servers with Azure SQL, and more to come! But we ran into an unexpected issue. Just a question to start with, do you know if Azure SQL have any restrictions regarding sessions, for instance that AzureSQL only can have one NST-session running with read/write rights in Azure SQL?

Explanation of our issue:
We have exported and imported bacpac-files and single NSTs can run against Azure SQL database, no problem at all.
However, once we try to create another NST/instance on any server, we immediately run into an error.
8cfwx8bbnoou.jpg

jf16h1xcivjk.jpg

This occur on two new VMs in Azure, using two different Azure SQL servers, on two different AzureRM subscriptions (two different environments in other words). One environment is running NAV 2016 CU09 and the other one is running RTM version, so I believe this is a general issue for all NAV 2016 versions. We have tried different logins for the service, enabling and disabling portsharing, changed ports, used different instance names, checked all parameters in the registry which we are aware of, and all logs that exist in Event Viewer (which you can see above). In event viewer nothing is printed in Application logs, ONLY the two events in System log (attached as error 1 &2). This makes no sense to us. And yes, we tried Google. Hopefully someone of you can help us out, otherwise we might have to contact NAV in Denmark or any MVP I guess.

Best regards,
Robin

Answers

• Options
    Wonder if you have any ideas @kauffmann? I participated at your training regarding AzureSQL at NAVTechdays15.
  • Options
    It seems like we found a workaround (after a week of troubleshooting. Have sent this to NAV support team, as there seems to be a bug. The workaround is basically to save generated database strings in CustomSettings.config, then revert to the local SQL settings, create a new NST based on local SQL settings, then reconfigure NST for AzureSQL again. In other words, the error only seem to occur when using a NST configured for AzureSQL as a template.
  • Options
    It seems like I found a workaround (after a week of troubleshooting). I have sent more detailed information to the NAV support team now, since there seems to be a bug. The workaround is basically to save generated database strings in CustomSettings.config (e.g. "ProtectedDatabasePassword", then revert settings to the local SQL config, then create a new NST based the local SQL config (which then is used as template). Finally I could accomplished to configure two NSTs for AzureSQL (which was the primary thing in my intention). In other words, the error only seem to occur when using a NST configured for AzureSQL as a template – and adding additional NSTs based on this template.