Errors that crashed NAV Server

Dear experts

I searched a lot but was not able to find any post related to the following warning and errors. I would be greatly appreciated if you could point me to the right direction to prevent the same issue from happening again.

The customer is using NAV 2009 R2 RTC.

After user ABC tried to batch post around 300 invoices (which will also send invoices to customers as PDF file, a customized function) several times, the out of memory error is found in the event viewer every time he tried. Please refer to files "Out of memory error 1-3" for error details. Just to let you know that the user was able to batch post invoices and send invoices to customers before without getting the same error message.

After 15 minutes since the last time the above error message is received, a warning is found. Please refer to file "Warning message" for details.

The same warning shows again after 30 minutes. Then an application error is received. Please refer to file "Application Error" for details.

May I know if the "InvalidReportHandleException" warning message is caused by the user who tried to batch post invoices several times? If so, whether increase the memory will resolve the issue?

Thank you!

Answers

• kylehardinkylehardin Member Posts: 257
    It is probably dying because of printing the report, not because of posting. 2009R2 has a memory limit of 2GB, so you have to be careful when writing reports to limit the amount of memory used.

In a test database, try just doing Post rather than Post+Print and see if that gets a memory error.

You also need to check what build number of NAV you are on. There have been a ton of hotfixes that have been done to 2009R2 that address report issues, but the hard limit of 2GB is still there regardless of the build number.
    Kyle Hardin - ArcherPoint
  • Kyle

Thank you very much for your feedback.

The build number is 6.0.38655.0.

When batch posting the invoices, the user did not mark the Print Sales Invoice field.But it does generate PDF invoices and send to customers as an Email attachment. May I know this will have the same effect as printing invoices?

I tested in the test environment and confirmed the memory will increase by 1GB when trying to batch posting 300 invoices. Since I was the only user in the test environment I was not able to replicate the error.

On the other hand, the memory in the server has reached 11 GB out of a total of 12 GB. May I know if the out of memory error is due to the fact that there is no available memory to allocate, or due to the 2GB limitation?

Thank you!
  • kylehardinkylehardin Member Posts: 257
    SAVEASPDF didn't exist in 20090R2, so you must have some custom code that prints the PDFs - so yes, that would be a normal report that's simply pointed at a PDF printer rather than a paper printer.

When you say memory in the server reached 11GB out of 12GB, do you mean the SQL server, or do you mean the NAV service tier server?
    Kyle Hardin - ArcherPoint
  • Wisa123Wisa123 Member Posts: 308
    SAVEASPDF did exist in 2009R2.
    How big are the PDF's you attach?

Do you send the Mails after the posting is done, or while posting ?
    Austrian NAV/BC Dev