Options

C/Front vs direct SQL Server access

Hello,

I need to gather some data from Nav 5 database using C# and since all the customers use SQL Server anyway I'm wondering is there a difference between using C/Front and SQL Server directly. Skipping C/Front obviously I loose possibility to access native database but using SQL Server directly I get all advantages of modern data access technologies like ORM and I don't need to deal with legacy data types and library.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Options
    kylehardinkylehardin Member Posts: 257
    It's been a while since I had to use C/Front, but I believe it handles Option fields better. SQL will only give you the integer value, where C/Front should translate that to Order, Invoice, Credit Memo. SQL will also convert Dates and Times to all be DateTime.
    Kyle Hardin - ArcherPoint
  • Options
    rabbit89rabbit89 Member Posts: 2
    Another thing that C/Front supports and SQL does not are special fields like FlowFields. I think I will go with SQL first though because it's just easier and then if there we will be a need I can use C/Front. I guess I could even use only some methods of C/Front i.e. to get Option's string representation so I won't need to replace all SQL calls, just use kind of hybrid approach.