Options

External access to NAV 2016 on Azure

gbierkensgbierkens Member Posts: 49
For testing purposes I have created a manual installation of a server on Azure.

I installed NAV 2016 CU1 from the DVD on this machine.
I created a database on Azure SQL.

Within the remote desktop all works fine, but I would like to access the webclient, windows client from outside the server.

I have set inbound lines in de portal.azure.com

pth3bz5zjjvo.png

And I have added firewall settings on the VM:

mpyk42n5l3ab.png

But still I get a error in my browser.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    kylehardinkylehardin Member Posts: 257
    What error do you get in the browser? And also look at the event log on the NST server. Does the web client work if you run it internally, meaning you run it in IE on the NST server itself (this gets the firewalls out of the way)?
    Kyle Hardin - ArcherPoint
  • Options
    On the NST server it runs without any problems.
    The browser just gives a time out.
  • Options
    Are you sure about the port numbers on portal.azure.com? Is 8080 the correct listener port on the NST?
  • Options
  • Options
    Since you can connect locally, that really points to a firewall problem. The issue is that you have two in between the NST and the internet. You can try turning off the "local" windows firewall, just to get one of them out of the way (make sure that URL above to localhost still works). Is there any sort of logging available on the Azure portal rules?
  • Options
    I disabled my local windows firewall.
    Local everything still works, but externally still the same.

This test proves that something should be changed in my Azure settings. But I just can't find what that would be.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    can you telnet to that port?
  • Options
    RopyRopy Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

I have a totally same demo enviroment. I configured everything as @gbierkens did.
    I can telnet to port 7046, 7047 and 8080.
    The webclient (port 8080) and webservice (7047) works fine from outside, but the windows client don't.

Any idea?

@gbierkens Could you solve the problem?
  • Options
    rosietesmenrosietesmen Member Posts: 6
    Had to chance authentication to NavUserPassword and needed tot use a (self signed) certificate that the user needs to install as 'trusted person'. No problem because not a production system.
  • Options
    PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    @Ropy On the webclient and webservice, you need to logon, do you? On the RTC client, do you get a logon box? If not, try changing the ClientServicesCredentialType in the clientusersettings.config from Windows to UserName.
  • Options
    Sorry, I wasn't precise. If I try to connect to the azure VM with windows client from outside I get an error: "Server was not found at ..... Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available." I dont get a logon form. I can telnet to the server at port 7046 and NAV works fine locally on the VM.
  • Options
    @Ropy I also haven't been able to get this working. But the same as you: I can Telnet and NAV works fine on the VM. I'm also able to use the webclient, tablet client and the phone client.

I suspect that it might have something to do with certificates.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502478(v=nav.90).aspx

I just haven't found the time to test the above.

• Options
    Hi!

I forgot to write the solution.
    @rosietesmen was right. The certificate was the problem.
    You need to use a (self signed or a valid) certificate that the user needs to install as 'trusted person'.
    Then Windows or NavUserPassword authentication work fine.

Thank you for your help!