Options

NAV 2015/2016 Encryption

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
Hi all,

We're upgrading from NAV2015 to NAV2016. Currently we have a custom "Private Info" record that encrypts some name and address information. We currently use a third-party addon's encryption routine. The third party has changed their encryption routine in 2016, so we have to re-encrypt this data.

So this looks like a potential opportunity to change our custom table to use NAV's standard encryption routines.

Here's my question - I've read about NAV encryption and watched some instructional videos. The examples say to use BLOB fields to store the encrypted data - I understand that. However, our current custom table just has some long-ish text fields to store the encrypted data - 75 characters for a 30-character text field and 250 characters to encrypt an 80-character text field.

I would prefer to keep the same table structure rather than change all the encrypted fields to BLOB. However, I'm concerned that 75 characters might not be sufficient length to store a 30 character field using NAV's standard encryption.

Does anyone have experience to know the length of NAV's encrypted values? I certainly can test it, but just asking if anyone knows.

Thanks

Ron
Ron

Best Answer

Answers