Options

logging in to NAV RDP from accross the planet, too slow

We need to provide read-only access to our NAV Classic 2009 through RPD to accountants, auditors living halfway across the planet and it is unusably slow. IT tells me it is the laws of nature, bouncing electrons to 8000km always has latency. Not having the new versions in some of our subsidiaries web access is not an option, and I am not sure that would be faster. We can't just export data or send reports, they need to be able to validate them directly by looking at all our entries and documents, they must be able to ensure we are not hiding anything. I am thinking about simply replicating the database weekly on their servers but this may not be 100% trustworthy for them. We are thinking in solutions like satellite internet but it would probably have the same latency. And it is already RDP which is the most low-bandwitch approach. Is this basically impossible? To log into a NAV Classic through RDP or something located in Europe while you are in Asia and not have it unusuably slow / high-latency?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    What are you seeing for average latency across these connections? That will likely be the biggest factor in the reliability and usability of the connection.

For comparison, I am located in the eastern US and often RDP to systems located in Denmark. This is not quite the distance you are describing (I think it's about 6000KM) but it's still a fair distance. I find the connection performance rather responsive. The latency averages about 120ms. I've not specificall run NAV classic but I would expect the performance to be comparable no matter what app you are running on the RDS.

So I'd say that yes it is possible to run these sort of connections. But the quality of those connections will matter. Your locations could make a difference as reliable connections may not always be available. There's even parts of the US where this would be a challenge.

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Correction: My total latency is roughly 300ms to 320ms (That 120 ms was just my local segment)

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    How does one measure latency? We tried the common ping command and it was around 300ms and it was explained to me it means it takes 0.3 sec if I move the mouse pointer and another 0.3 sec for it to come back and see it move on the screen and that may be annoying. Unfortunately I have no way of testing it really, all I know is they complain over there. It could be the this double 0.3 or it could be some other factor like their connection low. I suppose we should ask them to send us a ping and see how it looks?