Options

Multiple versions and CUs

DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
I am looking for guidelines on installing multiple versions (2013, 2013 R2, 2015 and 2016) as well as a variety of CUs at the same time. Preferably I'd like to do that on a single server, but would not be opposed to multiple servers (I think at least 2015 and 2016 should go side by side well). Is it possible on a single server? If so, what's the best way to do this? Any issues I should be aware of?

There's a bunch of posts with little bits and pieces, but I have not found a good, solid, comprehensive piece that explains this well.

Answers

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    My employer uses ReVision where it's possible to start various Dynamics NAV clients (DEV & RTC, different versions and builds) from the same server. Worth a look.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    If it is for multiple developers/testers/whatever..., I think it is wisest to use different servers for different versions. This has the extra advantage that in the future, the oldest server (once all customers have upgraded) can be shutdown and removed.

If it is for my PC (or a server for personal use), I have installed NAV 2009,NAV2013,NAV2013R2,NAV2015 but not NAV2016.
    You need to install them from old to new. In general the installed versions and servicetiers I am not using (also disabled those services).
    I have a subdir in which I have all versions and builds of client and services ready to be used.
    I am using the Service Tier Management Tool to install and run clients (actually I have my own tool in NAV2009 to start classic/dev environment/Windows client with all probable and not so probably parameters possible).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    The other problem I run into along these lines is the number of different VPN software packages my customers use.
    I am not a virtual machine guru, but at some point I may need to become one to handle the multiple NAV versions and VPN software packages.
    Azure offers the ability to have multiple virtual machines. If we shut down the ones not in use - does that mean we only pay for active machine cycles?
    BTW - I think we will be supporting NAV2009 and some of the older versions 10 years from now. A lot of people have dropped maintenance which makes it even more expensive to upgrade.
  • Options
    davmac1 wrote: »
    The other problem I run into along these lines is the number of different VPN software packages my customers use.
    I am not a virtual machine guru, but at some point I may need to become one to handle the multiple NAV versions and VPN software packages.
    Azure offers the ability to have multiple virtual machines. If we shut down the ones not in use - does that mean we only pay for active machine cycles?
    Correct. But this creates another problem.

Some VPN connection close down all other connections. The result would be: you RDP into your VM on Azure and then open the VPN connection to you client and that shuts down your RDP-connection. The result is that you need to reboot your Azure VM to remove the VPN-connection and be able to RDP into it again.
    So for VPN's Azure (or any cloud-software) is not so good an option. The only good way is when there is a VPN-tunnel setup between your VM and the customer.

I have had this problem in the past. 2 customers with the same VPN software but different version and not compatible between them. Or at a certain point, I needed to install yet another VPN software. After installation, I lost all connection with any network. After hours of work, I got it working again.
    At that point I decided that on my physical machine, I didn't want any VPN anymore (except standard Microsoft ones and the company VPN). For all the rest, I created a VM (first with XP on VMWare player. With W8.1+, you better use W7 on Hypervisor) and on those I put all the VPN softwares. If there is a new VPN, first I take a snapshot, install the new VPN and try all connections. If all work, I remove the snapshot. Otherwise I return to the snapshot and create a new VM for that one.
    On those VM's I only have the minimum stuff installed so they are quite small. I start and stop them when I need them.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    kriki wrote: »
    If it is for my PC (or a server for personal use), I have installed NAV 2009,NAV2013,NAV2013R2,NAV2015 but not NAV2016.
    You need to install them from old to new. In general the installed versions and servicetiers I am not using (also disabled those services).
    I have a subdir in which I have all versions and builds of client and services ready to be used.
    I am using the Service Tier Management Tool to install and run clients (actually I have my own tool in NAV2009 to start classic/dev environment/Windows client with all probable and not so probably parameters possible).
    I'd like to have a separate server, but that's not realistic at the moment. I'm just trying to catch up with how this works, haven't actually done much server maintenance since before the RTC came out, and it is surprisingly difficult to find good documentation on this.
    Alright, so just run the RTM installation for all versions in order, and then what? Just create a subfolder for each CU and place the files in there? So you have a folder for 2015 under program files for "80" which is the RTM version for 2015, then you'd create another folder called "80.38457" with all the files for the CU 1 build? Just copy the files or would I need to run the CU1 installer for that?
    Is there some sort of documentation for the service tier management tool? I can't find any documentation on Mibuso or the Tegos website, and there is no help available in the tool itself. By the way, how fantastic is it for Tegos to share this tool for free huh?
  • Options
    Just install the RTM version (or the latest build for each version). Then just copy the other builds in different folders. No need to run the installer of those other builds.
    I didn't find any documentation for the service tier management tool. If you start using it, you easily get the hang of it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    edited 2016-07-26
    When NAV 2013 R2 was state-of-the-art, I created a little manual (in German) on how to use the Tegos Tool with different builds.
    msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=24182&p=103692&#p103561

The current version of the tool has several enhancements, but basically it still works that way.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    Thanks for that Kai, I'll look at that soon and let you know if it helped
  • Options
    koubekkoubek Member Posts: 84
    Maybe you could try DynamicsNAV on Docker. I have pretty good experience with it. Actually, it drastically simplifies all dev problems related with multiple versions and CUs.
  • Options
    koubekkoubek Member Posts: 84
    Regarding the multiple VPNs issues, you can try Docker again (seems to be a cure for many issues one can suffer today). Look at this:
    NetExtender via Docker
    FortiClient via Docker

It is almost fun to run a VPN via Docker and connect to the remote endpoints could be even easier for any of your colleagues on the same LAN.