Options

Record Timestamp Dynamics NAV 2016

Hello,

In older NAV versions I've used a datetime timestamp field and a secondary key on the field in order to know when a record has been modified and to filter records for sending them to an interface.

I've tried the same scenario in Dynamics NAV 2016 with a field type BigInteger and SQL timestamp property set to yes.

If I add a secondary key on that field I receive a message when I am trying to compile the object:
"The server "DynamicsNAV90" was unable to process the request. The application will close."

Can I use the new timestamp as a key? I am wondering about performance if I do not have a key on the timestamp.

Is there any possibility to make a conversion from BigInteger Timestamp to DateTime? I would like to know when a record has been actually modified without adding a new field of type datetime.

Thank You!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kriki wrote: »
    I did a small test:
    I created a key on the timestamp-field (I gave it a different name (not "timestamp")) and that was not a problem.

Not having a key on the field will mean that SQL has to scan the whole table to find the records you are searching for.

HI Alain,

How did you add the "KEY" do you mean you added an index to the timestamp field directly in SQL? Because my testing show that this wont help, since the Navision "timestamp" is actually [cast([timestamp] as BigInt)] so if you do a setrange or setfilter in Navision then it still needs to do a table scan.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    I added a key in NAV.

I have to admit I didn't do any testing on filtering and what was send to SQL and what SQL was doing. I just checked if I could create a key on it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!