Options

SQL "Always On" and Navison

yukonyukon Member Posts: 361
Hi,

Does Navision (2013 and above) work with SQL 2012 new Features "Always On"? I'm looking SQL "Always On" and Navision configuration/documentation and what is pros and cons if we use that.

I'll be appreciate for your help.

Best Regards,

Yukon
Make Simple & Easy

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    First, I don't believe these features are supported by the NAV team at Microsoft. Mainly because they've likely never tested them. They tend to have an "if we haven't tested it, it don't exist" approach to what is supported. So if you call them with issues, they will just refer you to SQL Support. Who, in turn, will say "What's NAV?"

With that being said, we have 1 customer that is running NAV 2013 R2 with the database hosted in an "Always-On Availability Group. So far, I've not heard of any issues they are having. I don't know if this is the configuration you are thinking about. As this does require SQL Enterprise Edition. With Standard you are limited to a failover cluster mode.

While much of this stuff works fine with NAV, the key point if there will be limited to no official support. Don't expect a "how to" manual. Be prepare to sort out the issues on your own or thru non-official channels.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    yukonyukon Member Posts: 361
    bbrown wrote: »
    First, I don't believe these features are supported by the NAV team at Microsoft. Mainly because they've likely never tested them. They tend to have an "if we haven't tested it, it don't exist" approach to what is supported. So if you call them with issues, they will just refer you to SQL Support. Who, in turn, will say "What's NAV?"

I do agree with you. I don't see any official documentation from NAV Team(MS) or share the experience from NAV-SQL guru. I want to hear from people's experience and feedback on this. That why I posted at here. I do believe most of partner and customer are not using on this so that I not get so much response. Or it hard to tell Navision is working with SQL "Always On".
    I do not recommend it to use for customer. What can i do if customer really want to use it. I can say them
    bbrown wrote: »
    Don't expect a "how to" manual. Be prepare to sort out the issues on your own or thru non-official channels.

Thanks you for your nice suggestion and share the experience .

Best Regards,
    Yukon
    Make Simple & Easy