Options

Renaming company and VSIFT schema bounded views

I have renamed the company basically by dropping VSIFT because it wasnt possible to rename without dropping them as all of them were schema bound.
I do not see an issue in NAV but Is it right thing to do?

Thanks
United Kingdom

Answers

• Options
    Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528
    Next Question is why there are those views?
    United Kingdom
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Mmmh...are you a nav developer or a sql developer?
    If you are a nav developer, you should know what are VSIFT (take a look at msdn or manuals).
    BTW, it's not clear what was your problem during the company rename (what was the error text?).
    Moreover, these views will likely be re-created as soon as someone recompiles the related tables in nav
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    I am a NAV developer. I know what SIFT is but never seen views for them before!!. Basically the error was 'can't rename company because of dependency' so I have dropped the views and renamed successfully.
    Do you mean recompiling the table objects?
    United Kingdom
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Views are used since NAV 5.0, before SIFT was done through tables maintained through triggers
    2) Dropping the views manually is big risk. Try to compile the tables or import them through fob. Or you can try to disable/enable the keys on the tables.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Will try that - thanks.
    United Kingdom
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The views for VSIFT are dependent on only their related tables. They should not cause any problems when renaming a company. I have encountered the problem you described. A rename would fail with a "Schema- Dependency" error on a specific table. When investigating, I would find orphaned views. That is VSIFT views that did not have a related table index.

Here is what I do to solve these:

1. Export the table object.
    2. Open table in designer and disable SIFT on all keys. Save and compile.
    3. Go to Management Studio and drop any remaining views for that table. These are the orphaned ones.
    4. Import original table object from step 1. This will recreate the proper views.

You should now be able to rename. Or find the next problem.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Thanks for reply.

I have done the renaming by deleting the views.
    After I renamed, the views were created again. So there are no issues with the company change.
    Next time I will do the test by disabling the keys.

Thanks
    United Kingdom