"MSSQLSERVER service could not be started"

ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
edited 2005-06-16 in NAV Tips & Tricks
It is common for consultants to have several MS SQL servers and multiple MBS products installed, f.e. Navi 3.7, Navi 4.0 and MS CRM Sales for Outlook. The problem is that all of these install MSDE (as a default instance).

Today I hacked some translations in the fin.stx file, and found that it has a checksum so if I change anything, Navision throws an error message upon starting and quits. I replaced the file with one from the install CD but it did not help. So I had to reinstall Navi 4.0, and then I got the "MSSQLSERVER service could not be started" error message. I checked my SQL servers, and I found that it means the default instance server cannot be started due to some kind of login error. Some kind of problem happend, don't know why. Even if I checkmarked that "do not install MSDE", Navision found the MSSQLSERVER service, assumed that it's his MSDE, tried to start it, it could not, and then didn't want to go further in the installation. So basically it was impossible to install Navision.

I tried many kind of repairs, and finally what worked: I simply reinstalled the default instance of SQL server. Actually my default instance was a MSDE, but the reinstall removed it and installed an SQL server.

And then Navision installed fine, with checking "do not install MSDE" =D>

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, it is problem of the install, that if installed SQL is found (MSDE or full) he try to start it and if it fail, you cannot install Navision (and you may select what you want, everytime it will try it)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    Ah, I see of them flag, my friend, that you are also from the Wild Wild East like me :)

What do you think of my "Tricks to protect inventory value" topic? Do implementatons work the same way in Czech Republic like in Hungary, described by that topic?

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.