Dimension set error upgrading to 2013

makinamakina Member Posts: 6
edited 2014-05-19 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Guys!

Well, I'm currently upgrading a customer db to nav 2013 and I'm facing an error while upgrading document dimension archieve.
The error states something like "Dimension value id must have a value in Dimension set entry ...." After some debugging I have came across the function CreateTablesQry .... ¿Does anybody knows how this function works? I think it returns the sql code that handles the creation of the data, but this code is that long that I can't watch it through the variables section of the debugger. So I would much appreciate any help with this....

Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry for my poor English...

Comments

• BardurKnudsenBardurKnudsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 137
    Have you made any customizations to the existing dimensions solution? Have you deleted dimensions or in any other way changed standard functionality?

And you are right; the upgrade code is complex and difficult to debug. We wrote it in direct SQL for performance reasons. When we tested on our internal test database using 'classic' C/AL code, the dimension upgrade ran for ~12 hours, and with the current SQL implementation it runs for ~1 hour.
    Bardur Knudsen
    Microsoft - Dynamics NAV
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Does your database test (File -> Database -> Test: "Test field relationships between tables") run without errors regarding dimensions? It is very common, that companies deletes old outdated dimension values and even entire dimensions. You will need to re-create them before the upgrade job. (Or use date compression to remove old dimension values, but be very carefull with this one...)
    Regards
    Peter
  • DynamicUserDynamicUser Member Posts: 177
    Hi Makina

I recommand you to go with Microsoft Support

As I also encountered error in dimension during upgrade and Microsoft guys has replaced the existing code with new code
  • GetafixGetafix Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Was there ever a resolution to this problem?

I am having the same problem.

Thanks
  • BardurKnudsenBardurKnudsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 137
    Have you made any customizations to the existing dimensions solution? Have you deleted dimensions or in any other way changed standard functionality?
    Bardur Knudsen
    Microsoft - Dynamics NAV
  • GetafixGetafix Member Posts: 2
    Hi

This turned out to be an error in the data.
    There were Dimension Value Codes in the Production Document Dimension table that were not in the Dimension Set Entry table.

Thanks
  • gerdhuebnergerdhuebner Member Posts: 155
    Today, I encountered the same error just in the beginning of Upgrade step 2 "Transfer data".
    "Dimension Value ID must have a value in Dimension Set Entry..." - With debugger I found the reason for this issue:
    The field "Dimension Value ID" in Table 349 (Dimension Value) has property AutoIncrement, but for some reason this field (which is missing in NAV 2009) has not been filled from upgrade routines and so the standard code for evaluating the "Dimenson Set ID" runs into an error..
    I filled this field manually (via report) in each company and everything worked fine (at least concerning dimensions).
    Note, that before you can fill the field, you have to set property AutoIncrement to <No> and after the field has been filled back again to 'Yes'.
    Nevertheless, one has to take care about missing entries in the Dimension Value table or entries with Dimension Value Code blank in the Ledger Entry Dimension table and similar tables.
  • saravanans87saravanans87 Member Posts: 36
    Dimension value table is missing a dimension code so check all dimension related table(Ledge entry dimension,document dimension,default dimension,posted document dimension etc).Add the missing dimension code in Dimension value table.that will fix your issue.

Saravanan Shanmugam

Associate Consulatant
    Archerpoint LLC
    Software Developer,
    Archerpoint India Pvt. Ltd,Chennai.
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    edited 2016-05-03
    I encountered strange thing...
    I am upgrading two customers from Nav 2009 to 2016 (via 2015). I ran into problem with missing dimension values in both companies. In first, I created report which inserts missing values and this solution worked, conversion was without problem. But in second database, there are no missing dimension values and still, conversion procedure fails with error "dimension set already exists, ID 0)

edit: found issue: missing dimension value for some orphanded record in our DEV DB
    Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis